Wednesday 26 December 2018

From KenR: 28mm Italian Wars Papal Shot (80 Points)


Hello everyone, Merry Xmas, here we are again, back in the madness of the #AHPC. In the last couple of years I have tried to get an entry in before Xmas Day, but working on the first two days of the challenge cut that off at the pass.


So here are my first group of figures for this year, 16 x 28mm Perrys Miniatures which make up a unit of shot for my Papal Italian Wars Army, which will be the focus of this year's challenge for me.


They are based in skirmish order and will be the support for my upcoming Papal Pike Block, I am still not sure on which rule set I will be using but as usual I have based things to what I think looks right and I'll modify the rules set (If I don't write me own) later.


I have gone for a red and white theme with the uniform which will be reflected in the pike block and added in the odd cross keys on the clothing to distinguish the Papal Army they will belong to.

At 5 pts a piece I make that a reasonable first entry of 80 pts, which will start off both my main total and my Renaissance Side Duel pot. Two birds and all that.


Next up will be some Muslim Cavalry for the other half of this year's theme, my Crusades Project, but I also have the first 8 figures of the Pike Block nearly done and this afternoon I will be slapping and wiping the oil on the neck end of 100 28mm Horse for both periods.

It's good to be back.

________________________

Ahh, the Italian Wars - a salve to my soul. These are excellent, Ken. I really like your clean lines on these guys and the addition of the heraldic Papal keys are a wonderful touch. I also quite like how you've arrayed the formation on your big bases - it somehow makes the unit look more convincing on the tabletop. I need to make up a few of these myself as my pike blocks always seem to get ventilated by Peter's shotte when we have our games (or perhaps that may have something more to do with his scenario design. I eagerly await his response... ;) ) .

As to rules, we use 'Pike & Shotte' with a few additional rules added for flavour, with many of these coming from James Roach's excellent and well-considered modifications which you can find here:

http://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2017/07/italian-wars-unit-characterisation-for.html

A tidy 80 points for you - Well done, sir!


41 comments:

  1. Lovely models, the red/white combo looks fantastic and the heraldry adds real flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work on these figures Ken. The Perry twins plastic set rocks especially with the Italian heads that you swapped in. It’s true that I have shotte Curt’s pike blocks up a couple of times, but basically shooting is the only thing my Italians can do! In a hand to hand fight Curt goes through me like a hot knife through butter! To me Italian Wars is the ultimate game of rock, paper, scissors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, it's a fascinating period, really looking forward to getting enough to start gaming with.

      Delete
  3. Terrific stuff. Great colour contrast, and that basing works really well too - imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have been basing this way for 25 years now, if it ain't broke !

      Delete
  4. Cheers Curt, sadly I am no fan of Pike and Shotte although this is mostly due to Hail Caesar/ BP experience. I was lucky enough recently to pop over to James Roach's place and try his Piquet Italian Wars Rules which I really enjoyed. I also have a specific set called Furisio to try with a back up of modernising the old Gush rules myself. However if I waited for the right rule set I would get nothing done 😂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice work, especially the crossed keys detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, sometimes a little of bit of extra work makes a difference 👍

      Delete
  6. Those look absolutely lovely, and you've done a really nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And very nice they look too Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice indeed Ken!
    Love the crisp look, clean lines and colours

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking shot and well done on starting the Rennaisance duel! I've tried to the strongest! With Italian wars add ons that worked well.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ian, To the Strongest keeps getting mentioned to me, it's on my to look at list.

      Delete
  10. Nicely done Ken! The livery works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This period never engaged me but I reckon that these colourful uniforms are very attractive. Gret painting job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame as its quite an interesting period with a good interaction of arms.

      Delete
  12. Very inspiring Ken. I have some of these ready to go post-Challenge and this is tempting me to start them earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Millsy, usual Perry high standard, you won't be disappointed.

      Delete
  13. Great work Ken. As nice as these chaps are, however, I’m keen to see more of this “Crusades Project”...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg, the plan was to split 50 50 between the Crusades and Italian Wars but with the Renaissance Side Duel it looks like the IW units will get preference

      Delete
  14. The papal army looks off to an impressive start! I really like the basING for the missile troops too, besides all the great detail you gave them. Need some cardinals lurking around them to keep them motivated! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers David, the Cardinals have been undercoated and are in the queue 👍

      Delete
  15. Excellent! Painted a few of these recently and yours look really good. Cheers

    ReplyDelete