Wednesday 26 December 2018

From VictorC - 1/16 scale Miniart Athenian Hoplite (30 Points)

I've just completed Miniart's 1/16 scale Athenian Hoplite. This is a fully plastic kit with all of the parts on one sprue. Assembly was pretty easy but like most of their figurine kits it took a lot of plastic filler to cover holes, misshaped limbs and general seam lines. On top of that there was a lot of flash.  The figure was painted using acrylics, which is not normal for me. I usually use oil paints on a larger scale figure like this.  I think the figure came out pretty well.





I went with a darker skin tone because I believe the people back then spent more time in the sun and considering the geographical area it made sense.



I was rather disappointed with the decal as it took a lot of work and Microsol to get it to conform to the shield.



You'll notice the scabbard is held on with a piece of string. The kit didn't provide anything to attach the scabbard. I was lucky to find some string in my wife's sewing kit that seemed usable. 


_____________________________

Wow, what a lovely big figure, Victor. I always have found these as rather daunting as while there is a lot of surface to work with there is also very little margin for error as the detail is so much more visible than smaller scale figures. The build for this sounds like it was a bit of bear, but you can't tell in the finished product - your labours have paid its dividend. The bronze looks excellent and the string for the scabbard was an inspired bit of modeling on your part (sewing kit for the save!). 

Lets see, 1/16 works out to be approximately 120mm in figure scale, so we'll go with 30 points for this big Greek chap. Great work Victor.

23 comments:

  1. Great model, the armour and metalwork look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice job, I love the string, good problem solving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome work, Victor, just awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! The bronze armour is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely figure and great painting Victor :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Bronze positvely glows I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely metal finish and the skin tone is spot on!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing work, Victor. The armour and skin tones are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice work Victor, that bronze is just perfect.

    I’m pretty daunted by the scale too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done Victor! The bronze painting is outstanding

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work Victor,

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful work Victor. I've been tempted by kits like this on and off for years. You've done very well with in considering the kit
    itself sounded like a pain to prep.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work on this oversized Hoplite Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very impressive Greek, Victor! I hate decals, so I appreciate the time you spent, it looks excellent in place btw. The skin and armor are spot on and the re, white, and blue contrasts very well with armor and skin. Wonderful work! ;)

    ReplyDelete