Thursday 6 February 2020

EricM-28mm Spartans Crossing Benitos Brooke (128pts)

For the next installment along the path of History on Challenge Island I choose to investigate Benito's Brooke. Benito's challenge for us is to paint something related to a test of arms against hopeless odds.   Well in my opinion there are not many more iconic stands against hopeless odds than the Spartans (and their Greek allies) at Thermopylae.  On top of that this year marks the 2500th anniversary of the battle.  I would like to claim that this was planned and thoughtful but really if it were not for Footsore and their Black Friday sale on their Mortal Gods Box Sets, I would have had to go a different direction.

The box set includes plastic frames to make 16 armored and unarmored Spartans provided by Victrix and three additional metal figures that I believe are sculpted by Footsore.

Overall I was very happy with the Victrix figures.  They went together very well and had minimal seams at the joins.  In hind site I would do somethings differently in assembly but over all they are very nice figures




I really like the metal command figures included.  I think my favorite may be the unarmored hoplite pointing.  Leonidas is a nice figure as well.




In total 19-28mm Spartans were painted.

Great work, didn't know it was 2500 years since the Hot Gates. That's 128 pts inc hand painted shield bonus but please add you labels and do the maths next time

Martin



14 comments:

  1. Well done Eric.
    I'm always knocking plastic historical figures, but must concede - Victrix know what they are doing, and they make fine figures. Great brush work enhances the effect, nice stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on these Spartiates Eric. i've tempted by these figures several times. Apparently the Greks are issuing a 2500th anniversary Thermopolae coin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, who are these 'Greks' of which you speak? I would like to sek out one of these coins. ;P

      Delete
  3. Lovely figures, I'm aching to do some Spartans but fixated on the LESS THAN HISTORICAL '300' version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good! Love the picture of them massed together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent looking Spartans!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! A perfect unit for Benito's Brook. Well done Eric.

    ReplyDelete