Thursday 6 February 2020

From PeteF: Various Dark Age Horsemen (115 points)



These mounted warriors are for SAGA. They're a mixed bunch left over from other projects - I wanted some horsemen that could represent several of the Age of Vikings factions - so these might see service as Irish, Welsh and/or Norman mounted warriors.



The larger miniatures are from the Conquest Games Norman knights box. I've already done a few of them as Hearthguard (chainmail, fancy shields). The minis are OK - although it's hard to put the horses together without gaps showing. A couple of the bodies had gambesons so I did head swaps to make Stark mounted warriors (Game of Thrones).



The smaller ones are Warlord Games mounted Celtic Warriors. The horse and legs are cast in metal and the upper bodies and heads are from their Celtic warrior sprue. Although I'm reasonably happy with how they turned out, I'm not a huge fan of mixing metal and plastic. They didn't fit together well and, my eyes being dim, I also did not get 100% accuracy on fitting the right kind of top (tunic,chain mail or bare) to the right kind of bottom. The Celtic warriors sprue is  not that great for poses.






I experimented with different horse colours - including grey/brown and palomino recipes from the Painting War Dark Ages magazine. The shield designs are supposed to be neutral enough to stand in for any dark agey faction (apart from the Norman kite shield and the Stark wolf).






I'm looking forward to getting these barbarians on the table - 11 mounted for 110 points.


These are really great, some nice conversions. I really like the bases, differnt to the usual rectangles and with a nice bit of gardening. 5 extra points for some cool shield work

11 comments:

  1. Nice work Pete. Also inspired me to figure out what a "gambeson" was - always something new I pick up during a the Painting Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great riders Pete. I'll second Martin's comments on the shields (love the wolf) and the base work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas for conversions here, I'll need t look at this approach for my SAGA factions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely figures and lovely shields!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some very natty, well-shod barbarians. Great work Pete

    ReplyDelete