Monday 2 March 2020

From AndrewE - 8th Army Desert Aussies 28mm Reinforcements - (50 Points)

I was lucky enough to have my son come to Canberra with me to bond over playing Bolt Action again.  While he enjoys playing the games, he is not a huge fan of painting (no screen attached...).  So this meant that, in addition to having to paint up some reinforcements for my DAK, I also had to add some reinforcements to my 8th Army desert Aussies.

I had previously painted the majority of this army, but with the expanded points level of CanCon (1,250 instead of the usual 1,000) I had to add a couple of extra units in.  Enter the (2nd for the army) medium mortar.

The models are all from the Perry range, with the addition of the Australian slouch hats for converting the "standard" 8th army models to Aussie.  I used the recommended painting guides from the Flames of War source books using the lovely Vallejo paints.

The bases have come out really nicely with a good contrast and textures.  These were mostly from the Warlord Games desert basing kit.






I also added a few of the Western Desert SAS miniatures from the Perry range to add a little bit of character to the army.  I sprinkled these models in amongst the regular units - mostly as officers, snipers or spotters\observers.







Overall, they performed pretty well at CanCon with a few quality kills for my son.  Also luckily I didn't have to face him or it may have been a very quiet ride home one way or another.

***

Nice work here Andrew, great that you can enjoy the hobby with your son as well. I have added a few extra points for the mortar and the work on adding hats etc. Messing around with head gear on miniatures is a real pain, and worth a few points here and there!

GregB

5 comments: