Monday 2 March 2020

From TamsinP: Robert E Howard Will Be In His Bunk...Again; Sarah's Balloon (250 Points)


Extracts from the journal of TamsinP, Time Traveler, Society Girl and Adventuress

1st March, 1933, Texas?

Wending my way along the path out of Fran's Fjord in the near-dark of arctic winter, I am decided that this region would be much better visited in the summer months when there is more daylight. As I stumble over a root trailing across the path I realise that having more daylight would also make getting around much less hazardous.

Resolved to find somewhere with more daylight, I retrieve the device from my bag. I have no plans of where to visit, so I hit "Random" again - surely I can't land up in Robert E Howard's erotic dreams again?

The rift opens and I step through. "Feck!" I utter, surveying the hot, dry, dusty landscape and seeing him walking towards me once more. "Back here again! How the feckin' feck can that happen?"

"Good day to you once again, ma'am" he greets me. "I see you have returned. I'm terribly sorry for my abrupt departure last time. Let me introduce myself - I am Rob.."

"...ert E Howard, the writer. I know." I interrupt, somewhat rudely, but I'm still annoyed at having been returned here by the device. "Please excuse my abruptness. My time travel device seems to be insistent on my appearing here, much against my wishes."

"A time travel device? I think I read about something like that once - H G Wells?"

"Errrmm, yes, he did write a book along those lines."

"But what is your name, my good lady?" he asks. "From your attire, and weaponry you appear to be a barbarian warrior princess. And is that lovely palomino yours?"

I look at my clothing and, although different to my previous visit here, it does place me firmly back as a barbarian warrior princess. At least this time both of my breasts are partially covered although I do still have too much exposed skin for this sunny clime.

"That does appear to be the case, sir" I answer, then see 'my' horse - it is indeed a rather lovely palomino. I'm a little put off by the two severed heads hanging from the pommel though...

There are loud whoops and a sound of thundering hooves from the South, where a large dust cloud appears. Out of the dust appears a band of barbarian horsemen, slowing to a trot then a walk and finally coming to a rest in front of us.

"More friends of yours?" he inquires. "Such fine young men, so muscular, so barbaric, so masculine, so almost naked...my apologies, I must return to my bunk immediately ma'am."

He departs, leaving me with the barbarian host. "Now look here, you lot. Like I told the others, I want to continue my adventures alone. Now bugger off back home."

"But, Princess Tamsin..."

"No buts. Naff off! Leave me alone!"

They turn their horse East and slowly move away.

"Faster, if I can still see any of you by the time I count to one hundred, you'll be on laundry duty for the rest of your stinking lives. Got it?"

It is clear that they know I mean it, as they touch heels to their horses's flanks and increase their speed. My count reaches one hundred and they are indeed out of sight. Looking West I see a hot air balloon again.

"Lady Sarah!" I holler. "Any chance of a lift to Hawkins' Hill?"

"For you, Tamsin, of course!" she calls back, dropping the rope ladder. I bid farewell to the palomino horse who has briefly been mine and ascend into the gondola of Sarah's balloon.



"Princess Tamsin"





I didn't notice the little blob of gel superglue on her left arm until I was editing the photos.


Command Group



These will be fielded as a reduced count Heavy Horse "Hero" unit


Heavy Horse Units






Light Horse Unit




Commanders




Musicians




Standards




Once again, these 28mm figures are from Battlezone Miniatures. All but four of the riders you see here came as separate legs and torsos. The fit wasn't particularly good and would have left quite large gaps so to assemble them I added a small amount of greenstuff, then removed any excess that squeezed out. It's also done quite a good job of gluing the two pieces together.

Both of the large standards snapped and I had to pin them, then build up the staff with greenstuff around the wire.

This isn't quite the end of my barbarian warband for Dragon Rampant. There are a few more models to do, which should be along next weekend hopefully.


For scoring:

21 x 28mm cavalry @ 10 = 210 points

plus however many points the minion feels generous enough to add for the three hand-painted banners and the 14 hand-painted shields.


And before I forget:


***

As always, Tamsin provides us with top-shelf brushwork AND a very entertaining post.  Although I must say reviewing her course on Challenge Island is giving me a bit of a headache...but yes, the incredible barbarian mounted mob looks fantastic. Furthermore, I shall award not less than 40 points for hand-painted banners, shields and overall entertainment level on the submission. 

Thanks Tamsin!

GregB

15 comments:

  1. Fantastic looking barbarian mounted horde! Lovely work all round!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are brilliant, really love the horses. The horns for the musicians are flippin massive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work and great story. Have you named the severed heads? Had conversations with them yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. More wonderful hairy barbarians! Great work Tamsin. I really like the horses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spectacular Barbs, Tamsin - definitely well on your way to a horde!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, excellent painting, the standards are impressive and a great story too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Greg - thanks! And sorry about the map - if it's confusing for you, just think how bad it must be for me having to add trek lines! :)

    @ Iain - cheers! :)

    @ Martin - thanks! I think it was those big horns that must have got REH all hot and bothered! ;)

    @ Peter D - cheers! Not yet - maybe Larry and Barry? :)

    @ curt - thanks! The airbrush was very handy for doing (most of) the horseflesh. :)

    @ Evan - cheers! It's almost complete - just a few more figures to paint. :)

    @ Alex - thanks! :)

    @ Eric - cheers! Glad you liked the tale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 🎈🎈Always a pleasure to have you aboard the Balloon Service .... in flight entertainment has been upgraded to full service spa treatments ... Time traveling Barbarian Princesses deserve a massage, mani/pedi, seaweed wraps ...🎈🎈

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly barbaric. In the good way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant Barbarbarbarianians, those freehand banners are awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Lady S - thanks! I'll be in the sauna. :)

    @ Slowpainter - cheers! :)

    @ Sander - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Will - thanks! :)

    @ Barks - cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete