Tuesday 12 January 2021

From LeeH - British Airborne arrive at last (126 points)

It's taken a while, but I finally have something historical to post in this year's Challenge! My big 'lockdown project' last year was learning how to play Chain of Command and adapting my existing 15mm figures for that game. Thanks to a bit of judicious re-basing I was able to get some troops on the table really quickly (ie a few weeks rather than a few years!). Learning the rules and playing games solo was a great experience and I decided very quickly that I wanted to expand my collection. British Airborne was at the top of my list of candidates. 



Chain of Command is a Platoon plus sized game so I have painted up an Airborne Platoon and a range of support units to back them up. The core platoon consists of an HQ Section with a Lieutenant and Platoon Sergeant, A Piat Team, a 2" Mortar Team and a Sniper. Then there are three sections, two of which have a Seargeant, five men with rifles and one with a Sten, and a Bren team of three. The final section has two Bren teams each with an additional Sten. A total of 37 men.  





The support units include a couple of additional PIAT teams, a 2" Mortar team, A Bren Team, a Flamethrower Team and a full additional Airborne Section. And because I have a tendency to damage figures I also painted a few 'spare' riflemen bringing in another 26 men. 





The figures are a mixture of Peter Pig and Skytrex and they work so well together, now that they are painted, I can't tell which figures came from which company. All I can say is they are excellent figures and the two ranges complement each other perfectly. I have some Airborne Jeeps to paint up as well so expect to see them later in the Challenge. 

(Scoring: 63x15mm Foot = 126 Points)



Not a bad job on the Denison camo at 15mm. Mind you, those berets are rather too bright a red. Of course, for supports you'll also want to add a Vickers and a 6-pounder.

Oh, and expect to have to rejig your core platoon a bit when the Lardies release their Market Garden supplement(s) later this year.

Tamsin

16 comments:

  1. Brilliant painting Lee, can't wait to have a game with them. Am I to expect the Poles next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Nice work Lee. Great looking Paratroops

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb para's Lee, I really like the cammo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work Lee. Greg and I have played CoC using 15mm and it looks great on the tabletop. I think the berets looks just fine as it's nice to have brighter colours in these smaller scales (as you well know with your huge 6mm armies).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work. I’ve converted my 28mm AB for bolt action to chain of command. I too think the red is great as brighter colors for miniatures.
    Great!
    BruceR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Lee. Denizen scared me in 28mm - never mind 15mm! I too think the bright berets are spot on - they will look the bomb on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking figures Lee, especially like the expression on the Lieutenant 😕

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking smocks,super looking paras!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm really looking forward to using these in a game.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking airborne platoon. The camo is really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely group of figs Lee, looking forward to seeing them 8n action.
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete