Tuesday 12 January 2021

From SamuliS: Hall of Traps (30 points)

I'm a bit slow to start, but finally kicking of my challenge with the first entry! Bit of a change on how I've started on the previous eighth challenges I took part in as usually I've tried to speedpaint a couple of minis at the start for a chance at the glorious first place even if just for a few hours. And now it's almost a month before I could get anything submitted... I actually got these painted some weeks ago already, but just didn't get around to varnishing and basing them until recently. Busy work schedule and our firstborn being born in Autumn has had quite an impact on hobby time in the last half a year!

 


 To start of I figured I'd plunge straight into the dungeon by heading of into the Hall of Traps with a duo of Skaven engineers who are experts at building traps. I mean machines that are basically deathtraps and more liable to kill the user or his allies (as if Skaven have any) are basically traps aren't they! And as an engineer it's always fun to paint up and play with fellow engineers even if their creations are maybe lacking the finesse that is  expected in the human realms.


These guys will join my Oldhammer Skaven horde even if they are a bit newer sculpts. I've always been quite fond of the designs as to me they really seem to be the perfect image of a crazy rat scientist with plenty of gizmos  and weird equipment being carried to a battlefield. Like all my army I'm trying to keep the paintjobs fairly simple with most of the mini consisting of just a basecoat and a brown wash. Only the skin and maybe some single details like the Warpblades here get some extra love to make them pop and to give the illusion that they are better painted than they actually are. Pretty efficient and as there are a few hundred of them to paint I'd never get the army finished if I attempted to really highlight and put much effort on everything!


Overall that should net me 30 points with 10 points for the two 28mm minis and 20 extra points for the Hall of Traps submission. Hopefully the next entries will be finished at bit of a faster pace then!



Nice ratine (is that a word?) engineers. And good to have you on board again.

Tamsin

13 comments:

  1. Aaaahhh yes-yes. More rats are good-good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful painting! As per most GW minis there is loads to paint on them too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking Skaven. The wierd gizmos are the main reason to play that army, very cool and potentially amazing if they actually work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking skaven! The warpstone green is ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely job, they look suitably unhinged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great warrior boffin rat like critters! And great to see you back Samuli.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any Oldhammer-esque figures fill me with nostalgia. Very nice Samuli!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back to the Challenge, Samuli! I love seeing stuff for Oldenhammer, especially Skaven. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. More squeekiness from the great Cheesemonger, nice one mate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great start into the challenge Samuli! Congratulations on your offspring as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back 👍 great pair of figures to kick off with
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete