Tuesday 12 January 2021

From Barks: The construct (35 points)

When the old wizard died, did his powers flow into the ruins of the mansion- or was a dark presence there all along?



Last week I unexpectedly acquired a large collection of Descent 2nd Edition, which simultaneously derailed some of my Challenge strategy as well as throwing a few lifelines. This figure is Skarn, a perfect fit for the Golem's Haunt. I've also started to dabble in Citadel Contrast- about 90% of this figure is plain Contrast.

I don't really feel like I've hit the ground running this Challenge- but I can feel the juices begin to flow again and have a few posts lining up.


3" tall construct: 12 points?

Golem's Haunt: 20 points


Wow! That is a great way to get derailed! The contrast paints have worked really well on this model.

I'm going to score it as 12 for the construct and a point each for the birds, so that's 15 points plus the 20 chamber bonus points.

Tamsin

26 comments:

  1. Wow! What a cool figure Barks - well done! I'm playing around with Contrast paints as well. I find they take a little preparation in the base layer, but the effects can be pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely on a learning curve, but they've earned a place in my toolkit.

      Delete
  2. Great sculpt and excellent paintwork. I have one or two of the Contrast paints but still struggling to work out how best to use them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's definitely a Contrast construct! Brilliant use of those paints, which I think are tough to handle well. Great for quick approx work, but much harder to get convincing effects. Good job, Barks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an unusual figure which you can't really get wrong- perfect for a Contrast experiment!

      Delete
  4. Awesome construct and lovely finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting model and nice painting! Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s awesome Barks, love the teapot in the arm. No skulls? Are you feeling ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even scored a point on the GW duel...

      Delete
  7. That's certainly different. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is a brilliant sculpt and fantastic painting

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an alarming and cool looking figure - great work Barks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool Barks - quite a unique figure!
    I think you'll like the contrasts - not the silver bullet some think, but very good in specific applications

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great figure love the boxes on the bottom of the leg 🦵
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the violin torso and teapot arm! Very cool figure🧙‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There’s a little teacup in there as well but it doesn’t show up easily on these pictures!

      Delete
  13. Nice wotk Barks! Seems like the contrast paints are just the thing for such highly textured items. May well have to give it a try one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was waiting for Vallejo or Army Painter to release a comparable range, but couldn’t hold on.

      Delete