Tuesday 12 January 2021

From StuartL - The First Ladies of Horror (and plus ones)- 46 points

 Hello again. Today I am venturing further into Level 3 of the Chambers of Challenge. Having passed through the Knights' Solar, I must now brave the strange creations of the Laboratory. This was quite an easy chamber to find inspiration for as I happened to have a couple of minis that fit the bill perfectly. However, as I am also hunting for those rascally Squirrels, I needed to put some flesh on the entry and expanded it to introducing the first ladies of horror and their significant others.


The Strong Female Character Who Refuses To Be Defined By Her Relationship To A Man.
As a successful doctor, lawyer, teacher and parts from at least 7 other Jane Does, Mary is a career focused young woman, a diligent supporter of women's rights and refuses to be held down by the patriarchy. Despite having an electrifying wit and a style all her own, Mary spends most of her time on her research work in the lab.
On the subject of her partner, "Frankie means well, but he's hardly the most eloquent of individuals, and terribly clumsy. I don't let him near the lab these days, he has a tendency to smash the place."


Queen Tutankhamun
As the wife of the Mummy, is the Queen a Daddy? Maybe someone more in touch with 'woke' culture can clear that up for me. After having awoken in the afterlife, the Queen found that it looked remarkably the same as the previous life, just with more of the locals running in fear whenever they saw her. Still, as an eternally animated corpse, she has plenty of time on her hands for starting new hobbies and learning new things. Recently she's been tempted to give becoming a historian a go, figuring she has a head start on other researchers.
On the subject of her partner, "King Tut has been awfully grumpy since he awoke. He kills any visitors we get and he barely even bothers getting changed out of his bandages anymore. I was hoping he'd lighten up after retirement."


Countess Dracul
Running the estates of Castle Dracula is a demanding job, but one which the Countess undertakes diligently. The zombie servants work around the clock without complaint in service to their mistress. The Countess takes great pride in both her appearance and that of the estates, believing that it is important for the upper classes to uphold certain standards of behaviour.
On the subject of her partner, "When we first met, the count swept me off my feet and left me pale and breathless. But times have changed. These days he's out drinking at all hours of the night, chasing local girls and then he comes home and just sleeps all day. I'm really quite fed up."


And there you have it, Mr. & Mrs. Frankenstein should cover me for the Laboratory theme of the chamber, plus a few other friends. Every October an American friend of mine likes to run games with a Halloween theme, so these figures will ideally be used for a pulp style adventure game with the heroes trying to avoid the monsters and escape. All of the minis are from Reaper's Bones line. The Countess isn't supposed to be a vampire figure, but I think she'll do. I do have male and female vampires from Reaper, but I painted them ages ago so they weren't eligible for the challenge.

So, I think that should be 5x 28mm minis for 25 points, maybe 1 point for the Count/decor and 20 points for the chamber, giving me 46 points in total. Pulp Horror should also add another Squirrel to that side duel. Sadly no skulls amongst this lot.

My running Duels totals:
GW Points - 287
Skullz - 143
Squirrels - 8


"As I was working in the lab, late one night
When my eyes beheld an eerie sight
For my monster from his slab, began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise..."

Lovely job on the ladies and their "companions". Forty six points for you.

Tamsin

12 comments:

  1. Nice work Stuart. I do like the Countess Dracul figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray. It's a very simple model, but it works.

      Delete
  2. Cracking collection of Pulp terrors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, hopefully they'll be on the table and terrifying people sometime soon.

      Delete
  3. Nice trio of independent ladies and their companions!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely bunch, particularly the countess' dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job, Countess Dracul the pick of the bunch
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  6. I quite like these ladies! Good to know that they are as well accomplished in their day jobs as they are in the “terrorizing the neighbourhood” role. 🧙‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! Great work Stuart!! The Countess is my fave.

      Delete