Friday 1 January 2021

From MilesR: Parthians in 6mm (303 Points)



My third submission for this years challenge is yet another 6mm scale ancients themed entry - a Parthian army.  These figures are from Baccus and where fun to paint up and base. 
First up are 17 bases of mounted archers and 3 bases of javelin armed troops.  These formations are the real work horses of any Parthian force and are employed to wear down opponents with showers of arrows and constant running around.  


Parthian armies also had respectably sized infantry formations of light and medium troops - my little force has 8 bases of archers, 2 skirmish stands and...

4 stands of medium spear infantry.  Perhaps not of the same quality as a Roman Legionnaire but maybe just good enough to delay an attacking enemy force while the showboats of the Parthian military trundle into position.  Once the Baccus cart opens up, I'll probable enhance this force with a few more bases of Spear infantry

I also had just enough extra figures to make up 3 command stands.

And who are those showboats - armored cataphracts - 10 bases of them.  Somewhat slope compared to the Horse Archers but when they hit - Bam!  It's just getting them in position to charge that is the tricky part.

Just because they are fun guys to have around - 6 bases of armored Camel cataphracts.  These troops were pretty rare and I can't really see a scenario where all 6 get used but Baccus sells them in packs of 36 so I painted them all up.

Well there you have it - my second of four planned 6mm scale ancients armies for this year's Challenge.  I've painted up all the 6mm ancients mini's I have on hand and am now waiting for the Baccus ironworks to complete my remaining orders.  Crack that whip, Mr Berry, crack that whip!

Perhaps it's time to turn to a little terrain making - maybe something set in Sept/October 1942, in southern Russia and maybe along the banks of the Volga river....

Points wise this entry consists of 208 Infantry figures and 199 mounted figures - so that works out to 303 points.




14 comments:

  1. Fantastic, an army in an entry! Lovely looking cataphracts and horse archers! Camels are of course king and I look forward to your terrain building!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yowza, Miles strikes again. Lovely looking horde of Parthians, they look wonderful en masse like that. The PBI can be useful on the battlefield so good to see them represented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when I slave away to get a couple figures done and Miles pops off an army. Amazing. Well done Mr. Reidy. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, Miles!! These look super! I love Parthian armies - always a real handful on the tabletop for Romans, or anyone else really! I like the armoured Camel cataphracts - I am sure they're a battle winner. Well... maybe not totally "sure", but give it a go, maybe ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armored camel cataphracts are a sure bet to win in any tabletop engagement unless they are commanded by an utter moron. Uh-oh - I think I may have found a flaw in my plan for table top domination....

      Delete
  5. Another impressive army ready for battle. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent Parthians, Miles. Really impressive army.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miles, you do know you can put an entry in smaller than an army 🤣 well done 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another fabulous entry. I like the spearmen, you don't see them all too often in Parthian armies. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete