Friday 1 January 2021

From ByronM - 15mm 30 years war Holy Roman Empire (136 points)

One of the goals I set for myself for this years challenge was to try and reduce the pile-o-shame (models that have not yet been painted) that has accumulated over the years at my place.  So I created a large list of projects that have started over the years, but never finished.  Once such project was last years foray into the 30 years war in 15mm.  While I finished quite a few bases of figures during last years challenge, I barely touched the stock pile of them that I bought, and have yet to play a game with them due to not having enough completed.  Therefore I thought it would be a good thing to get cracking on them over the Christmas holiday.

Here is the batch that I got done over the last week: 18 cavalry, 18 muskateers, and 14 pikemen.

All of these were painted using a very quick and messy method.  Essentially, all I did was apply base coats of the basic colours, then washed everything with the one GW paint I use (Agrax Earthshade), and then highlighted them with the base colours again, and in some cases 1 shade higher to get some highlights.

While this basic method produces tabletop ready miniatures quickly, they are nothing special.  Which means I get frustrated painting them quickly as well, as it feels like cheating to not put your best effort into something you are painting, BUT with something like 500+ more models to do to complete them all, I simply can not put much more effort into each model than this or I will never finish them!

Overall though, at tabletop level they look ok, and that's all that counts for these.  My plan is to use the "By Fire and Sword" rule set with them for small skirmish games (a great rule set that's super detailed and in depth) and then to use "By Pike & Shot" for bigger games (another great rule set, essentially GW's old Warmaster rules).  I look forward to getting them on Curt's table for a game with the Regina crew sometime this year.

As for points, this batch should net me 136 points as per:

- 18 Cav @ 4 pts each = 72
- 18 Muskateers @ 2 pts each = 36
-14 Pikemen @ 2 pts each = 28

20 comments:

  1. Your quick and messy method is my bread and butter! These look just great and I look forward to seeing them on table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. It's just that I want everything the best I can do, but struggle with the fact that it is impossible to do that unless I resign myself to getting 20-30 figures done a year. Which as a gamer is simply retarded... There are too many games to play to only get a few figures done, so I compromise but then am unhappy with that compromise... I am pretty sure we all do that as painters, I am just very vocal about my dissatisfaction about doing so... Don't worry, Curt bugs me about it all the time :-)

      Delete
  2. Great work Byron - well done making more progress on this project. I also enjoy how you share you tortured internal logic regarding painting...your “basic” efforts look excellent, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks Greg. Yeah, they look ok, but not as good as your "basic" :-) I have some much nicer stuff in the works coming up very soon, stuff that I spent a whole lot more time and effort on.

      Delete
  3. It's always a trick balancing speed and 'quality' and I think you have done great job here. I think you will be very satisfied with your paint job when they are all done and on the games table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look terrific all ranked up Byron. I very much look forward to seeing them in the new hobby studio later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope we can do something this year... It has been FAR too long already.

      Delete
  5. They look fabulous, cracking on with those bravo

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great! I'm also reducing quality so that I'm faster to increase productivity, it's abit odd but as you have said necessary to get stuff done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. As with Peter, your "your quick and messy" method is my best efforts. I really like these troops and think you've done a top flight job - an entire army of 500+ figs will look smashing on the tabletop. For mass battle games (which is mostly what I paint for) I think it's important to bear in mind that the visual effect is based on the unit and not the individual figures that comprise it. Your painting quality will look fantastic when arrayed on the table. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles. I get the theory of that, but am just stubborn enough (I am a dumb ass Ukrainian after all) to think it doesn't apply to me :-)

      Delete
  8. they look truly impressive Byron!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work, Byron!! You're being far too hard on yourself. It's very much 'horses for courses', and these figures will look brilliantly impressive, en-masse, on the tabletop! I actually think they look pretty darn good in the photos - so well done! And it's always good to remember the three-feet rule... and these guys more than meet that test! So, just as Miles has already mentioned, that's a huge "Bravo' from me as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sidney. I know they will work, I just struggle with it :-) I always try to live by the rule "Aim for perfection and you will at least be good enough, if you aim for good enough you are sure to hit crap".

      Delete
  10. Nice one Baron, get them decks cleared lad 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your minis look great. I think all of us are quite critical of our own work, especially when we feel that we rushed it a bit to get the minis on the tabletop. For anything more than small skirmish games, it's never going to be possible to get the quality you want on hundreds of minis in enough time to play the game, sadly. Still, these figures look great all ranked up, and I am sure your opponents will agree.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking force Byron! I can feel your pain though as I too always try to paint to my highest standards. That's exactly why I only play skirmish though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think they look great! Quality and quantity!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look great on the table.

    I wish they made Agrax Earthshade (and Nuln Oil) in something like 500 ml or 1 litre bottles...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think they look great, I wish I could get results like these! En masse they will look spectacular!

    ReplyDelete