Friday 1 January 2021

From PeteF: Turnip 28 invades the Golem's Haunt (25 points)

Post Apocalyptic Napoleonics. With Root Vegetables?

At one of the few in person wargames I played in 2020 one of my friends introduced me to world of Turnip 28. It's a mad idea - the brainchild of artist Max Fitzgerald that involves kitbashing spare Napoleonics and men-at-arms - or putting muskets in the hands of knights.  Just messing around with sprue and glue. This is how Max described it in an interview:

"It’s about turnips, that’s the line. That’s the answer to every single question… but really it’s a post-apocalyptic Napoleonic root-vegetable themed wargame slash universe slash community weird project thing."

Rusty helmet

Since it's a fantasy world you don't have to worry about getting the buttons right and since it's post apocalyptic everything can be a bit dark and muddy. I've gone for making things rusty and decayed. There are some nice bits of artwork (see Max Fitzgerald Art Facebook page) and something about musket toting knights appeals to me.
Back Pack ... with roots

Even before finding out about the dungeon theme of Challenge XI I wanted to try a Turnip28 mini this winter - the stitching together things from the bits box makes him work for Golem's Haunt.  On the one hand I have a box of assorted Napoleonics and on the other I have sprues full of men-at-arms and knights heads. A few bits of moss and weed have been added as the roots spilling out from the veggies he's storing in his backpack. As far as I can tell - there are no rules for Turnip28 as yet - Dragon Rampant would work fine. You have free reign as far as factions are concerned - I think I'll call this one a Swede.

Happy New Year to everyone on the Challenge or following PCXI!





  One 28mm figure mainly from Perry parts and a room bonus for 25 points.

16 comments:

  1. I love this concept! I'm going to have to try one now. Great work Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just found out about this yesterday- weird, wacky and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome work. I'd seen the term Turnip28 elsewhere, but not much in the way of a definition. I've been very impressed by the other '28' projects I've seen online (AoS28 and Inq28), so I'll start following Turnip28 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smart idea, looks great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find Turnip28 strangely compelling. Good use for leftover spruces too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely compelling is right - I described it to one of my other friends and their immediate reaction was "I'm into that". So maybe Turnip28 will take root in my local community.

      Delete
  6. Terrific work, and a great Turnip28 miniature, Pete! I heard Max talking on the "Brush Wielders' Union Podcast" a month ago, and thought the Turnip28 project sounded fantastic fun. A wonderful idea to translate that to a golem. Just great stuff, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sidney! I'll look out for the podcast to find out more about the project - most of the content is behind a patreon paywall and I haven't yet subscribed.

      Delete
  7. Lovely figure, that back pack is definitely growing on me 😉
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! The swedes will be coming for you for that.

      Delete
  8. Great work and a really nice and effective conversion!

    ReplyDelete