Monday 25 January 2021

From NoelW: Life’s a Beach: Adventurers’ Landing (266 points)

“I think all that guff about the Chambers being invaded by strange uniformed creatures from a hitherto unknown island are just scare stories,” says Titchy. “So we run away and forget about our noble quest for the GTTWHNS.”(1)

“We have seen lots of men shooting lots of guns at lots of dungeon denizens, Titchy.”

“Illusion. Hocus Pokery. Magicianly tricks just to fool us. Fake news. But they can’t disguise reality for long. Here it is. This deserted beach.”

They look around the bay: idyllic dunes of silver sand, the glorious blue waves flecked with white foam, the graceful squawk and splash of seagulls.

“Can you see any sign of invasion?”

“Well, actually…” begins Elfbow. “What about that?”

He points out to the horizon.

“A sail! A sail!”

“Actually, I think more than one. And they seem to be heading directly for us.”

“Might not be an invasion. Might just be a pleasure cruise.”


“And it might be a flock of ugly ducklings pretending to be swans,” suggests Elfbow. “But I suspect not.”

“Well, look at the lovely clouds the ships are making. Surely that’s a celebratory greeting, saying something like ‘look how soft, friendly and cuddly we are’.”

“Or,” says Getrude, as the first of the cannon balls plummets into the sand at their feet, and the distant echoes of cannonfire arrive shortly behind them, “they may be saying something like ‘stand on that beach much longer, and see how quickly we can turn you into flotsam.’”

“Or jetsam.”

“Ay any rate, some sort of sam.”

“I believe,”says Elfbow, “we elves have an apposite word for situations like this.”

“What’s that, Elbow?”

“Scarper!”

***

(1) Greatest Treasure The World Has Never Seen

My invasion fleet is not quite as large as I was planning, but it’s still a decent mass of ship and sail. It consists of 11 ships. 7 are more of the Simon Mann 3d prints I bought second hand, and the other four are Warlord’s Black Seas ships. 

The consist of:

1 x 2nd rate Barfleur class

1 x 2nd rate Temeraire class

1 x 3rd rate Intrepid

2 x 5th class (frigate) Southampton class

2 x 5th class (frigate) Arethusa class

2 x Bomb ketch

1 x schooner

1 x cutter

The last two of these (the smallest of the vessels) I’ve not rigged, though they do have flags. I’ve made all of the flags and pennants detachable, so that the ships could, in principle, be used for navies other than the British. (I also made all the ratlines myself, as the 3D prints lack them, and I'm not too keen on the Warlord acetate jobs, even though I've used them on some of my other ships to save time.) Of all the ships in this fleet, I particularly like the bomb ketch, one of which I've painted in black and white, potentially suitable for Danish or US use against the English:

Following the precedents set by Adam on the relative size of vessels plus bonuses for rigging, sails and flags, I think plausible points are:

2 x 2nd rate @ 33 = 66
1 x 3rd rate @ 31 = 31
4 x 5th rate @ 25 = 100
Cutter = 9
Schooner = 10
2 x Bomb ketch (somewhere between brig and frigate in size): 12 + 3 bonus? = 30

Adventurer’s landing: 20

Making a grand total of 266 points.


8 comments:

  1. Great work Noel!

    I think we may need to reexamine our point scoring for naval models as we seem to be experiencing a marked points creep with these. Not your fault, just something we need to reexamine to set a more realistic benchmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I'll send you a brief email with my thoughts.

      Delete
  2. Points aside these are fantastic models nice ine

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely group of Naval ships, pointing Naval entries are so hard, a Napoleonic Ship fully rigged and based would take me a long time easily over 10 28mm figures worth.
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful ships, Noel, that is quite the invasion fleet you've assembled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking invasion fleet!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete