Monday 25 January 2021

From JamesM: 15mm Polish Stuart light tanks (24 points)

Hi folks,

Following hot on the heels of the Ram OP tank, a trio of Stuart VI (M5A1) tanks from the HQ Squadron of 10 Pulk Strzelcow Konnych (10th Polish Mounted Rifles), 1st Polish Armoured Division. 


The Regimental HQ Squadron had eleven of these vehicles which would be allocated out to Squadrons or tasks as required. As such, all of my armoured squadrons have a troop of Stuarts in support, even though they are not technically part of the Squadron I am collecting.

Period pictures of this unit in Normandy appears to show that the unit had these later versions of the Stuarts, in keeping with most of the other British and Canadian armoured divisions. I've gone pretty light on stowage for these - adding just the single spare bogey to the front hull, as per the initial images of these tanks in Normandy. I have added the usual aerials and crew figures will follow at some point. 


Each tank has a turret mounted .30 cal MG. In keeping with my other recce units, each tank will have one crewman in the turret, with the command vehicle having two. The command tank also has two aerials, just to help it stand out further. 

The models are 15mm scale Plastic Soldier Company kits. I've based these on MDF with magnetised bottoms in order to sit nicely in my storage boxes, and the basing style matches the rest of my collection. Decals include the divisional badges, unit AoS of 45, War Department registration numbers, bridging weights and allied recognition stars. Weathering via some Tamiya Weathering Master dust effects, which are pretty subtle. 

These three 15mm tanks, at 8 points each, are worth 24 points. 


15 comments:

  1. Some top shelf work James - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super looking Stuarts 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice James - the story of the Free Polish forces is fascinating. If I ever start my Italian Front project they will definitely make an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul - it's something I've become more interested in as I learn more. The Poles spent a lot of time based in the area I'm from in Scotland. In fact, one of the Polish infantry units in the 1st Polish Armoured Division wore the coat of arms of the town as an honour given their time there.

      Delete
  4. Splendid looking Polish recon!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tanks are aces James. I’m a big fan of the Polish exiles in WW2.

    ReplyDelete