Monday 25 January 2021

From GregB - Byzantine Cavalry Officers (20 Points)

Byzantine cavalry command figures - 28mm from Gripping Beast

Hi everyone! Not much progress to share, but more painted figures is more painted figures, and here are two more painted figures. These are Byzantine cavalry officers - one carrying a standard, the other brandishing a short sword. They are 28mm metal castings from Gripping Beast's Thematic Byzantine figure range. The shields decals and the banner are from LBMS. 

Shield decals and banner from LBMS.

These two figures could slot in with any unit, but I intend them to act as a command element for my Byzantine Kavallroi in my last submission. The addition of these two models brings that unit to a healthy size of 12 riders - nice and beefy for Warhammer Ancient Battles. And of course they can skirmish on their own for games like Lion Rampant. 

I quite like the pose of the fellow with the sword...some poor soul is about to "get it"...

As ever, the LBMS stuff is infuriating to fiddle with and as ever, it is absolutely irreplaceable - these came out not too badly. The pattern on the shields is not a match to other riders in the Kavallroi unit, but then these two are "characters" and so I wanted them to be able to stand out on their own a bit. 

The Kavallroi unit on my shelf, ready to defend the glory of The Empire!

For points, these two mounted 28mm riders should account for 20 points, although judging by the points being claimed in the naval side duel, I am thinking I should claim the banner is a "sail" :)

One important tip when embarking on a project to paint Byzantines: never run out of spears, shields or LBMS transfers...and don't just assume that box over on your shelf, you know, the one "you are sure is full of that stuff", actually holds any of that stuff...

Anyway, while I wait for new supplies to arrive, I shall turn my brushes to some of the other projects which have been lurking around my painting desk. 

That's all for now. Cheers and stay sane!

23 comments:

  1. Nice work! Sorry to hear that further progress is now dependent on Canada Post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Byzantines are some very nice work indeed, Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous work dude! Great brushwork and basing (that final shot of the unit is terrific). I like how the standard bearer is leaning back, surveying the line. Great minis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking officers, the finished unit looks superb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice additions to a great looking unit Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These two certainly cut a dashing pair! I can just hear the sighs from the rank and file as these two trot up and start talking about leading them “To Glory!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie!
      "My Lord, are we certain those spear tips you wish us to charge are 'glorious'?"

      Delete
  7. Splendid looking pair of cavalry command! Lovely sail,Byzantine armies was my first Osprey book and I started some Ral Partha figures 40 years ago, this project is great and so very tempting...!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful stuff Greg. I’m really loving this project. I’m also laughing over your “the bits I need are right there” experience. Been there, done that, made the panic order this challenge.
    Also great work on the horses, after all they are the real brains of any cavalry unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! And yes...the horses, I can only imagine how much work it would take to train them to fight the way that the Byzantines (and their enemies) fought in that long-gone era...

      Delete
  9. Great looking set of units. I really envy your painting skills - these troops look superb and the weathering is just right

    ReplyDelete