Monday 22 February 2021

From Dallas: Mad Max in the Hall of Heroes (26 points)


The Hall of Heroes! The last Chamber in my journey through the terrifying Chambers of Challenge. And what better "hero" to appear in the Hall of Heroes than that greatest of the Main Force Patrol-men, the bronziest of the Bronze, "Mad" Max Rockatansky.  


Max, a 20mm casting from North Star, is pictured here with his Ford Falcon XB-based "V8 Interceptor" diecast car.


You even get a "driver" figure with the two-model pack from North Star. It did take quite a lot of work to fit this model into the cockpit of the Falcon XB. The car is pretty easy to take apart, you just need to Dremel out the rivets holding the body to the chassis. Comes right apart.


The roadway is actually a roll of tape from the toy section of Wal-Mart, made for kids to play with their Hot Wheels cars. I stuck the tape down to the sticky side of a stick-down vinyl tile and trimmed it up.


It was a bit of a challenge painting this basically monochrome model...


But that's Max for you. These figures were actually finished some time ago, but I was waiting for Max's base to arrive, which it did today. Like many Challenge participants I base some of my figures on pennies, and that was the plan for Max... but I wanted an Australian penny. Not so easy to come by as it happens! 


Australian currency was decimalised in 1966; before that it was a confusing British-style system of pounds, pence, shillings, florins (!), etc. At first I bought a 1959 penny on eBay - 1959 for the birth year of Mel Gibson. But when it arrived it was an enormous pre-decimal coin! That wouldn't do for a small 20mm model so I found a 1979 decimal penny commemorating the release of Mad Max in theatres. Done!


So that's 4 points for full-size 20mm figure; 2 points for a half-figure, and 20 points for the Hall of Heroes. Now - on to the Altar of the Snowlord! See you on the road, Bronze!



"Look. Any longer out on that road and I'm one of them, you know? A terminal crazy... only I got a bronze badge to say I'm one of the good guys."

Nice work on Max and the Falcon.

Tamsin

8 comments:

  1. I love the penny touch! I'll have to source one of these bad boys myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bronze!!

    Great work Dude. My favourite of the Max's. The penny is an ace touch. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely job and the penny is an absolute touch of class - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Dallas!! Love the penny...and the search for the right penny!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff, love the penny basing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work! Clearing the whole challenge!!! Wowzers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely looking mad Max and smart work on the penny!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last of the V8! Excellent work! That would have been funny if I also had an Australian penny lying around.

    ReplyDelete