Monday 22 February 2021

From LeeH - 6mm Dark Age Round Houses

A long while back I was casting around for some 6mm buildings for use with my Ancients collections. I wanted some roundhouses and I think I got these from Timecast (happy to be corrected). They're nice little models although the integral cast resin base is really very thick. I think I bought these ahead of Challenge IX and although I had primmed them I never got round to actually painting them. 


The roundhouse is a simple structure made from wattle and daube with a timber frame and a thatch roof. The result is a structure that rarely leaves any physical remains and can only be identified from circles of postholes and the remains of drainage ditches and hearths. Anyone that has ever watched the excellent Time Team archaeology series will know these structures are ephemeral at best and perfectly epitomise why the period in which they were most common came to be known as the Dark Ages. 



I think I may be making a punt for the least amount of points given out in a single entry in Challenge XI (or maybe all time?). The dimension of these three bases is only 4.5" x 2.5" x 1.5" so a total of 16.87 square inches... a little over a tenth of a terrain cube, rounded down is 2 points. I'm happy with that, especially as these models have sat primed and waiting for my attention for close to three years! 

(Scoring - 1/10th Terrain Cube = 2 Points)

12 comments:

  1. May not be big for points Lee, but any effort to get terrain completed is worth cheering! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely little terrain bases, Lee! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great and I really like the little barrels/basins outside. I’ve got an eye on some 10mm Timecast buildings for my Cold War project

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely little roundhouses ! Never mind the points, feel the quality!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work on the scenic bases, lovely entry! No, 6mm terrain is not for the point-rakers ;-). But the cuteness factor is very high!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great little round houses, I expect to see Asterix and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work Lee. 2 points is a disgrace, write to your MP quick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There was a minefield entry some Challenges ago, if I remember correctly it was rounded up for 1 point. :)

    ReplyDelete