Wednesday 17 February 2021

From SimonG: A Heroic Assassin for The Hall of Heroes in 38mm (27 points)

With plenty of choices of potential heroes for the CoC XI Hall of Heroes I picked out one that will be familiar to many if not all of those following this blog -- Ezio Auditore de Firenze from Assassin's Creed. Once again this is a LMS Black Rose Wars 38mm PVC sculpt from the Stator Box of Kickstarter extras in a cross over with Ubisoft.



Although I've never played the game (computer games are not my thing) there is plenty of reference material available -- although with strange gaps (such as what his scabbard looks like) -- no doubt I could watch the game or film and find this out but it seemed pretty plain so that's how I left it. 






The sculpt is very dynamic and some things such as the swish of the clothing and the face is handled very well whereas others, especially that pesky scabbard, leave much to be desired. Overall though the dynamic pose really works and suits the character to a tee.








You can get a sense of the size of this piece from the side by side with a Perry 28mm -- so a realistic 38mm, not so large as to be a "model" but small enough to challenge the brush. 




I'm also getting to grips with painting whites -- tricky stuff but a base coat in Apothecary White contrast then careful build up of layers is getting there for me. I'm also getting more comfortable with building up layers in lines which gives more control than my standard dry-brushing especially at these larger scales (and is less demanding of your brushes! I've killed loads of brushes dry-brushing and find dedicated dry-brush brushes are just too big and clumsy). Also still working on faces 😡!



Anyway a fun 8 hours of so on this one -- next up I'll reveal where the PigMen came from! For the time being that should be another 27 points (20 for the Chamber and 7 for a 40mm figure).

-------

Love the White Robes (always a hard colour to do) and the contrast wth the red. Nice job Simon!

Cap'n Wednesday

20 comments:

  1. Very nicely done. Great colour choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noel -- colours are down to the Ubisoft designers, this is one of those cases where there is a very clear "canon" that must be followed 😇

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I’m learning a lot through this whole process which is great

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Paul, lots of fun characters still to come from me!

      Delete
  4. Very nice Simon - I don't know a thing about the setting, but that is one cool-looking character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg -- I guess we may be an older crowd then the average gamers out there! Luckily there is a host of background on him on the interwebs so I knew what he should look like 🤪

      Delete
  5. Lovely work on the whites Simon and a great rendition of the hero (having dorkily played the computer game). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, glad to have affirmation from someone familiar with the game ... I did own a PS3but rarely used it given the complexity of the games! Maybe now we have all this time in lockdown ... but I’m too busy painting 🧑‍🎨

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking assassin! I have seen the film, still not all that clear about it to be honest but you've done a great job on him!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. It strikes me that these robes would be awfully awkward for all that creeping and skulking around 🐁

      Delete
  7. I have watched the movie and it wasn't even half bad... your figure looks pretty nifty! For faces I use the trinities provided by Wargames Foundry, perhaps that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that’s what I’ve found my way to as a base albeit using a wash for the darker shade. I’m now advancing to add all sorts of additional highlights and accentuated shades using a guide from the Vallejo airbrush system and airbrush paints which being super thin are both easy to blend and very forgiving. I recommend folks check this eight paint set out I think it’s called the fantasy face set

      Delete
  8. Nice work. White is always a difficult colour to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, I’m definitely avoiding going for a crusader project Amy time soon 😃

      Delete
  9. Thanks Barks, not my favourite colour but came out well this time

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking figure, he's a big lad at 38mm !
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait until you see what I have lined up for the lair of the spider - that’ll dwarf young Eliot here 😃

      Delete