Wednesday 17 February 2021

From MartijnN: The Chamber of Darkness (41 points)

Here is the next instalment in my small contributions series, slowly treading my way through the maze.

The funny thing about these Chambers is that, even though I was resolved to stick to my historical figures first, I cannot seem to stop musing about the Chambers and trying finding ways to get through them. As a result I have been painting far fewer historical figures than I should have been, but also doing some things I would never have taken up otherwise. For instance,  I have never ever painted anything in greyscale before. I decided to stay on the safe side and paint a statue. As I  mentioned earlier, I have recently started using a 3d printer. So, I printed this statue from the City of Arkenfel Kickstarter. I tried to use as many shades of grey as possible (no, don’t even think of going there). I used Nuln Oil as a wash and stuck it on a grey base as well. In full Technicolor it looks like this:

 


To back up the statue there are eight Bactrian Greek Indian archers (or two elements Lb) from the Essex Miniatures DBA army languishing in my lead pile since the early nineties. That means six elements are now done, or half the army; all the Greeks still to go though. The photos are not the best, but they'll have to do for now I fear.

 



For points I will claim the statue as a 28mm figure (it is a bit larger than that, but this was a rather simple paintjob after all) for 5 points, plus eight 15mm foot figures at 16 points, and the bonus for the Chamber of Darkness for a total of 41 points, bringing me within an inch from my modest total. On to the larder!

8 comments:

  1. I agree with Ray, love the statue, but its also nice to see some old school Essex getting the love. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome entry Martijn! Do you have a resin printer or fdm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander! I am not very good in exercising moderation in all hobby related things, so I bought both. The FDM printer is not yet properly set up yet, however, so this figure was printed on my AnyCubic Photon.

      Delete
    2. Well I must say I am eyeing the Resin printer more and more these days. I did something stupid to my Ender 3 and can't get a decent print off it, but I have no idea what I did nor how to fix it...

      Delete
  3. Awesome statue. I also like seeing the old school,ancients

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking statue and old school Essex Indians!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete