Wednesday 17 February 2021

JamieM - US Airborne (110 points)

Continuing my historical travels, I present some US airborne troopers.  These are from the Bolt Action starter set and I bought them because of this book:

My son absolutely loves these books. They’re history books for kids with a lot of the gruesome bits left in and presented in a way that kids can understand and enjoy. Whilst I was painting a couple of weeks ago, he came in and said that he wanted to play a Second World War wargame. This gave me the excuse I needed to buy something new...... the bolt action rules looked decent and the starter set looked like great value, so I purchased it.

I was very impressed with the plastics and the ease with which they went together. In fact, I subcontracted the building of them to my kids which shows you how easy they were!

Some research on colours informed me that the uniforms were light brown, until they decided to be greenish instead. Looking at the variety of colours in pictures, I decided to go for a greenish hue. The backpacks and the like all done in a khaki and helmets using US Dark Green.

I thought I’d try washes to bring out the different colours, so they were basecoated with Zandri dust and then washed and highlighted with different colours to separate them. Sped the painting up and I’m pleased with how they came out.

I went for a variety of weapons as recommended by the bolt action quick start rules. I shouldn’t think we’ll be too concerned when we play about switching weapons as needs be.

Whilst double checking the points, I realised that I had two less than I thought..... a quick check of the floor revealed that two of them had taken a combat drop off the table before the picture was taken, so here are all 24 in one picture!

Half points for four of them as they’re lying down, so 110 points all told.



10 comments:

  1. Fantastic stuff Jamie!! Good to see that your "drop" into historical gaming is going well!
    (I'll see myself out...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I think they look quite spiffing (great basework too). I love that you subcontracted out to your kids. It almost makes me wish we had a few of the little blighters ourselves. ...Okay, that feelings gone. Whew! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking airborne Jamie. Those are great books. I approve of your use of child labour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great team effort, perhaps next year they can enter the Challenge together with their dad!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking GIs,horrible histories are great, good to hear your conscripting your offspring!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking paratroopers Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look good! Happy gaming!

    ReplyDelete