Monday 1 February 2021

KenR : 28mm Italian Allied Legion Principes Pt1 - 160 pts

 

I can almost hear the kids at the back screaming are we there yet ! 

Nearly son, nearly, this is the 4th of 6 batches of foot leaving 32 Principes, 32 Triarii to do along with another Cavalry unit and a couple of General bases and we are done ✔ One thing is certain, whatever I paint in the remainder of the Challenge will not be white !

If it ain't broke why fix it ? So its 32 28mm Victrix figures on 4 60 x 60 bases, helped along with some LBMS transfers. 32 x 5 points is 160 more towards my total.


Compared to the Hastati the main difference is in that ever important plumage, I've mostly used the 2 plume helmets from the plastic set for this unit (can you guess where the three plume heads are 🤔). With the Hastati I added a sprinkle of un armoured guys, with the Principes they are all armoured, mostly with bronze plates but there are the odd cuirass in there.

In addition to that I've done a bit more weathering on the shields to give them a bit more of a grimey lived in look. I like the slight variation you can get with plastic figures. Romans should always have a uniform, discipline look but lots of small changes in head or shield position along the rows really brings the unit to life, just like the guy on the end of the rear rank who has clearly seen something more interesting off to his rear 😀 

I did start to flag a little at the end of this unit and getting started on the next lot of 32 Principes has been a bit of a Groundhog day but I'm determined to get them done, at the end of the day this is a pretty small Project for me, I already have a Roman Legion sat in a box ready to join these add to that the Carthaginians the whole Punic Wars thing will top a 1000 figs fairly soon.

And just to finish off, cause I know you like these, here is the unit in its rightful place in the formation. Still no joy 😕 with the 8 missing Velites, if anyone does have any Victrix ones spare, I'm happy to paint up a couple of figs on a Command Stand in payment 👍



29 comments:

  1. Some fine work once again Ken, and it is always neat to see more and more those bases fill up with painted troops and commanders - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg, the end is definitely in sight 👍

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking legions Ken, love the shields and the grimier look to these more seasoned troops. Also like the feather counts method for keeping your lines straight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upstairs for thinking, downstairs for dancing 💃

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking legionarys and love the slightly grimy campaign feel,ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking figures - also great to see those bases filling up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work Ken. I can only sympathize with your flagging enthusiasm for all things white. Take heart, the end is in sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, I can see the finishing line now 👍

      Delete
  6. I'm loving this project, great work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those bases are starting to look a bit crowded now. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stuart, definitely a lot less MDF on show 👍

      Delete
  8. Beautiful!
    "... just like the guy on the end of the rear rank who has clearly seen something more interesting off to his rear."
    That's a great figure.😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, I always like to add something out of the ordinary in a large unit, it started with South Park characters on Hoplite shields 😁 and has just kept going, the number of units i have with Bradford City shirts of badges in is quite large 😀

      Delete
  9. Fab work Ken, white has the same effect in me, it can be a drag on your will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😁 thanks Ray, it definitely saps the life out of you, one reason my Austrian Napoleonic Army never got off the ground 😄

      Delete
  10. Wonderful stuff! A real pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gret stuff there! Love all of it! My Romans are on deck after my current army project, and the WotR army.. but only cause I can speed through the first two before trying to put effort into my romans like this here! Great inspiration, and saving the photos for later!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smashing unit! I’m now looking forward to the Triarii. They’re the experienced badasses with spears of my Rome Total War memory is working?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, they are the tough end of the Legion 💪

      Delete
  13. A good plan and a fine looking force in development Ken!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man Ken, that's some excellent painting!

    ReplyDelete