Wednesday 3 March 2021

From ScottC: Bell uh1n helicopter - Altar of the Snow lord Submission (40 pts)

 Here at last and what an amazing journey it has been.




I have painted almost half as many miniatures in this hobby challenge as I did last year. I am very proud to have been able to clean up a good chunk of my shelf of potential.

I have had this model in my closet for several years now waiting for an opportunity for it to be convenient to build and paint to pair up with my 28mm modern Canadian forces. 

This is an Italeri bell Un-1N model, 1:48 scale. This is my second model airplane assembled and my first was a 1:48 thunderbolt to use in bolt action. I must say that assembling has never been my cup of tea and my goodness was this a challenge indeed. I glued together large subassemblies so that I was able to paint the interior and somehow airbrush the exterior without getting the windows mucked up.



I regret not taking more WIP shots but alas, here is how I managed to airbrush the exterior. I assembled the hull as best I could with blue tac used to keep it all together. I have to admit, it worked a charm and I was able to paint everything cohesively. 


Here is the beast in it's prime: 

(Disclaimer - only the helicopter was painted as a part of this challenge, scenery and minis were painted approx last year.) 














I tried for the first time to use weathering Pigments on a model. I had initial issues with the pigment binder leaving behind an almost wet looking residue but I was able to pull it around with isopropyl. I think the end effect looked pretty good. 



All in all I had an absolute blast with this guy and look forward to continuing my painting streak. 

Cheers! 


Points: 28mm vehicle 20pts
Challenge bonus: 20pts




7 comments:

  1. Wow, terrific work Scott! I'm not a fan of building ground vehicles at the best of time much less choppers (did one last year), so I tip my hat to you. This Bell looks the business, especially when set up with the terrain and figures. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work mate, good to see another model on deck!

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid looking helicopter, useful wip pic,lovely finish and well done on reaching the altar!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Scott, it is great to hear how much impetus the Challenge has for many of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cool chopper Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful work on the whirlybird!

    ReplyDelete