Wednesday 3 March 2021

KenR : 28mm Allied Italian Legion Velite Deserters : 40 pts

 

Those of you with good memories will recall back in December my first unit post of the Project was short of a few chaps, the deserters as they are better know, 8 Velite having been built and primed disappeared somewhere in the house and I have been searching for them since.

So because Victrix only do boxes of 60 figures for Allied Italian Legion I have been looking for alternatives and after a massive search I settled on these Gripping Beast Punic War figures, their Velites have wolf heads on the troops which I didn't want for the Italians, so I went for the Levy figs. I bought the 8 and snuk in a unit of Turcopiles for my Crusades stuff.

So 8 28mm foot figures at 5 points each nets me 40 points and just leaves me with the Triarii and a command base to do in the couple of three weeks remaining. Work has been really busy and I've hit a bit of a brick wall with painting at exactly the wrong time so it will be a big push to get the last bit done by the end.

So here are the new recruits in with the old sweats ! The Victrix are a bit larger but its a reasonable compromise and it will do. So I will see you soon with the Triarii. And finally below the obligatory progress photo 


-------

Glad you found those sculking scallywags Ken - hiding down in the bilges where they? A dozen lashes at Captains mast and back to work for them!

That army is looking superb - I hope that work eases up or you to focus on the Triarii, pride of the Legions as they are! On on!

Cap'n Wednesday

18 comments:

  1. So those chaps never showed up eh?
    Nice work on these, my original Republicans were all Gripping Beast, great figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, my other Legion is Roman Gripping Beast so once I couldn't find them these were the obvious choice

      Delete
  2. Great job as always Ken!
    Now, what is the punishment for deserters?? There were no minefields to send them to "check" in that era, were there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No minefields sadly but I think I've got some volunteers for the Flaming Pig Unit 😠

      Delete
  3. More great work on this beautiful project. Just think, when they show up you will have an extra unit. You could paint them as a convict unit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling they have joined Spartacus 😆

      Delete
  4. They look great Ken. You are continuing to check off the mdf boxes. I did know of one gamer whose 20 man chord performed so badly that he melted two down and sold the remaining 18 off to another gamer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be in store for the "Rouge 8" if I can find them 😄

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking velites,I'm glad they avoided decimation!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making awesome progress, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is a nice looking army. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still a couple of units to go but getting there 👍

      Delete