Saturday 15 January 2022

From DarrellH: Spanish Trastámara Italian Wars Ordinance - Army of Gonzalo de Córdoba, "El Gran Capitán" (32 points)

At last! My first post! Hurrah! :>)

Apologies for the slightly serious nature of this post. I've been a difficult time as I'm sure many of us are experiencing to one extent or another. 

Due to a serious medical condition I have been shielding since March 20th 2022! Unable to see in person another human being except when I got my three vaccines. Suffice to say this has been emotionally devastating in so many ways. It had take a heavy toll on my mental health. I was so ill/hyper anxious last year I was unable to take part in the AHPC. I have lived with quite a high background level of anxiety most of my adult life but this was something very new and much more intense than anything I had experienced before. I just couldn't find the strength within to paint anything. 

Gradually over time things did improve with the help of some serious therapeutic interventions etc. Still, there have been times when I have struggled to paint so I made a promise to myself that the AHPC starting in 2021 would be a perfect time to challenge myself, but more than just putting the brush to a miniature; to challenge myself mentally too, to challenge the hyper anxiety. The sense of companionship, humour and sense of community that the challenge provides will hopefully be enough to keep me going.

I started prepping miniatures for a Late Roman army way back in early November of last year  struggling a little through some quite rough castings, mostly pitted, lovingly cleaning them up and filled in the many gaps with ProCreate putty. Then primed. I had all the units ready for the go come December 21st and made a good start with the brush. Starved of the varnish I use all the time during the "Great Windsor and Newton Professional Matt Varnish Drought" I did some shopping around and was assured that a certain matt varnish spray was a "dead flat matt" by the vendor. That is where my troubles started. To cut a long story short, the varnish was far from matt and after spending two weeks painting up my first unit of Cataphracts, ready to make a "bang" with my first post, the final layer of varnish penetrated not only the solid brush on DIY Enamel Humbrol Gloss coat (left a week to fully cure which has never let me down) but down into the paint, blistering and cracking the finish. Along with the extreme frosting the paint cracked, then flaked and all my hard work went down the pan. Devastated does not even begin to describe my feelings. With the first unit of the project now ruined, and only large units to paint, I had no time to paint anything else up to reach the deadline so opted to box up all the Late Romans and save it for another year when I can face stripping the Cataphracts down again. 

Pics of the varnishing disaster can be found at the bottom of my post. Curt suggested to me that I might include a few as a precautionary tale! I am not going to mention any names but the results are plain to see. I have never had such a varnishing disaster anywhere near as bad as this and I'm just shy of painting for three decades.

The composition of of the gun, crew and accoutrements were all worked out in the picture below. I wanted to emphasise the discussion between the Leonardo da Vinci miniature and the chap with the linstock as if discussing the maths of the matter at hand! I think that this was largely achieved. 



Now to the heart of the matter and the pictures of the gun and crew in action:

(Argh! I've just noticed that I've splashed some of the basing colour on one of the sleeves of the guy holding then linstock. I just want to get my fist entry underway at present so that error will be fixed tonight.) - Millsy: I'd never have known if you didn't say!
















So, one cannon and four crew is 50 points? Maybe a Brucy Bouns for the vanishing disaster that saw six well painted cavalry models reduced to cracked garbage? ;>)

And the varnishing incident of doom! 



From Millsy:

I'm so glad you took the time to tell us the background to this post and what you've been through the last couple of years Darrell. It's a brave thing to talk so openly about the things that challenge us like this. Well done to you mate for fighting the good fight and getting yourself back to a place where painting is something you feel able to do.

I'm also stoked that you're back painting and sharing with us. I've always loved your smooth style with your absolutely gorgeous metallics. That gun is an absolute masterpiece! The crew are also really evocative of the period, especially that crazy yellow hat and the wonderful earthy tones across the group.

Good to know you were able to fix the varnish disaster. Living in Australia I've never had issues like this but I know plenty who have in the frozen north. Thanks for the warning!

Have an extra couple of points mate, one for the wonderful micro-sized notes and one for the warning :-)

50 comments:

  1. welcome back, life has been tough for you but I think the painting will help, especially as you are so good at it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. It feels good to finally have something completed that didn't erm.... go wrong :>)

      Delete
  2. What a way to come back! Excellent brush work on display here and really nice colour choices as well. Stunning entry!!!

    Sorry these crappy lockdowns have affected you so hard, at least it sounds like you are getting through it better now. I know many people it hit really hard, and I know the only thing that really kept me sane was being able to get out on the motorcycle all summer, without that, no idea how I would have handled these last two years.... Glad to hear you are at least doing a little better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Byron. I haven't been able to leave the house at all so it's been "a ride" as the master Bill Hicks used to day

      Delete
  3. That is some beautiful painting Darrell. The detail you have put in is incredible, even down to the text in Leonardo's notes. Well done for just getting through these unprecedented times too, may I say on behalf of the hobby family, we are here for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brian. Funny story, 2well funny in an odd sort of way, I had to study facsimiles of Leonardo's work at Art College
      though admittedly not that small :>)

      Delete
  4. Welcome back, Darrell! Sorry to hear about the disaster with the spray varnish and that you've had to abandon the Romans for this AHPC.

    That artillery crew looks fab! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back Daryl, your painting has been a highlight of past challenges. I am glad to see you back at your brushes and sounds like things are getting there. As the others have said it’s been a tough slog.

    First up that’s an absolutely spiffing gun crew, love the discussion between The two experts. Fab work. Tough break in the Romans, hoping that you can sort something out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back Darrell! I know all of us will be excited to have you back, and wishing you the best.

    And many of us can relate to the varnishing calamity...that is a gut punch for sure, but you'll have your revenge in the end, and we look forward to your entries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back Darrell! That's a lovely gun and crew. I think we all feel a shudder of horror and sympathy at your varnish woes, but well done for bouncing back and not letting it derail you from taking part. I know a number of us can also relate to the impact of mental health issues, and the way that they can sometimes make engaging with the hobby hard, but that the hobby can also provide a great sense of connection and fun. All the best for the rest of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It's a bit of an odd one. Sometimes I can get quite Zen when painting but since Sars Cov 2 the Zen state has been punctuated by bouts of anxiety too. :>(

      I am almost certainly not alone.

      Delete
  8. I am happy to read that you’ve made your way back from the varnish disaster and your medical struggles. This is my first year in the Challenge and I am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back Darrel. Fine work from your brush . You would be welcome on our paint and chats anytime if that might help with engagement and encouragement. Hopefully you will feel more confident to get out and about this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave I'd love to join in at some stage.

      Delete
  10. Very nice brushwork! Sorry to hear of your troubles, hopefully everything will get better soon and those Romans get properly painted and varnished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Teemu. The Late Romans are now boxed up including the painted ones. There they shall remain for some time. I've got an Early Byzantine project to continue after the Challenge, and the rest LOL

      Delete
  11. The cannon and crew are really well done. I like all the little details on the ground around the cannon, it makes it look very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent work and great to have you using this hobby and form to be better. Cheers and paint on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrible finish on the cataphracts, you have my sympathy, gorgeous work on the gun and crew,who makes them out of interest?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, The whole gun and crew are from The Assault Group's Spanish, Trastámara range. Well worth a look if you're interested in the Italian Wars. Fab miniatures and virtually no cleaning up.

      Delete
  14. Great job on the cannon team, Darrel, and good on you for taking some well-needed self-care into account. I'm glad you've been able to make some positive change in this regard. I, too, am painting as self-care measure and I also chose Romans for my first unit (although luckily I was able to avoid the issue you had); there must be something about Romans and catharsis...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back and I’m glad the challenge is helping. That gun and crew are brilliant, lovely work.

    What a disaster on the varnish, being at the makes it so much worse but glad you pulled together a cracking submission anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's some fantastic painting Darrell! You have my sympathies on the varnish disaster! I had that happen to me many moons ago and ever since I only use a brush on varnish.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the weird thing. I always use DIY brush on Humbriol Gloss followed by W&N Professional Matt Varnish spray and I have never had anything go awry in decades! Then "The Great Winsor and Newton Professional Matt Vanish Drought" hit, I had to change my habits and boom! Disaster! Never again!

      Delete
  17. I am so glad you've made it Darrell after reading in more detail elsewhere about the varnishing disaster. Like most people I am in awe of your painting ability and love seeing your work and am looking forward to seeing what you produce for the Italian wars in particular.
    I'm even more pleased to hear that you are getting through things and making a recovery despite such disabling anxiety - you've done well and want to remind you to be kind to yourself and recognise the credit you deserve for battling through as its not easy. In my line of work I see people's lives change as they eventually overcome the often enormous daily difficulties and challenges in everyday life that most of us take for granted. Two steps forward, one backwards sometimes but being so aware and psychologically astute will get you there in the end no matter how hard it gets at times. Stand tall mate and take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate for the qwords of encouragement. They are very much appreciated. You're right, it has been two steps forward and one step back for a long protracted period. Still even if it's still "baby steps" I am pushing forward which feels like a small "win" each time.

      Delete
  18. Glad you’re back at the brushes after what seems to have been (or better still is) a rough couple of years. I love your painting style and I‘d have loved to see you tackling some more Romanoi this year.
    Anyway, your Leonardo Da Vinci scene is at least equally impressive and I‘m looking forward to what you‘ll come up with next

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great vignette! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad to see you back in the Challenge Darryl, hang in there brother! Your figures are a delight to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander. It's good to be taking part. just what the doctor ordered so's to speak. :)

      Delete
  21. Great to see you up and running in the Challenge mate, bloody nightmare with that varnish 😬 I've stopped painting Italian Wars for a bit so you can catch up 😉

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Thanks Ken. I'm not so sure I'm (ever) going to catch up with you but I'll certainly be giving it a try! LOL

      Delete