Saturday 15 January 2022

From ForestP: 50 15mm Napoleonic Grand Duchy of Warsaw 4th Regiment of Line [Glorantha] (120 points)

Good morning from the cloudy middle of the United States! As I sit here under a Winter Weather Advisory for a paltry 2-4" of snow I find myself not in the slightest bit upset because it gives me a perfect excuse to stay in a paint. Truly the definition of the proverbial silver lining of the clouds above me. 

As the miniatures at hand though, I present to you the 1st and 2nd battalions of the 4th Regiment of Line of the Grand Duchy of Warsaw; or what could also be known as part of the Polish contingent of the Grand Army of France that fought in the Peninsula. They are one of the most heroic of the Polish units in the Napoleonic Wars, and were loyal to Napoleon even after he lost control of Poland. They were a decorated unit both during and after the Napoleonic Wars and so I shall also claim them for Glorantha as Heroes! As will be my style I will talk you all through a bit of my painting process. 

What I painted were 50 15mm figures from the Battle Honors line of Old Glory 15s aka 19th Century miniatures, specifically from the range BPO3 (Line Infantry Regiments 4, 7, or 9). The pack I had was an older one that I purchased from Campaign Game Miniatures during their recent holiday sale that had 50 miniatures in it, versus the new Battle Honors packs that generally have 24 figures. So, if you're trying to recreate this unit as I did, I suggest you order 2 packs of BPO3 from 19th Cent. Minis. As far as references for images I split between those in John R. Elting's Napoleonic Uniforms Vol. 2 (yes, I know they are quite expensive, but highly worth it for the Napoleonic enthusiast; by the way the link is for used copies of the 1993 edition, you can buy the 2007 re-issue here), Napoleon's Polish Troops (MAA45) by Otto von Pivka of Osprey Books, and Uniformology's "Uniforms of the Grand Duchy of Warsaw 1807-1815 Part 3" painted by Jan Chelminski. Since each source showed uniforms a bit differently I amalgamated the sources to create something that I was satisfied with as a compromise. It's not exact, but I'm not a button-counter, so there.

I actually started painting these miniatures last weekend, and were able to finish them up over the course of painting an hour or two per night over the week. First after cleaning flash I mounted the figures to craft sticks using a hot glue gun (my preference because of the ease of popping them off after painting) I primed the figures in ultra flat white (Krylon Colormaster 5131507) to reduce the need to paint white pants (because efficiency or laziness; take your pick). And with that I was done for the first evening.

That's not too many miniatures, sure this can't be too bad...

Night two I decided to knock out quite a bit of the blocking. Most of my paints were Vallejo Acrylics, so I will provide  reference numbers for those. I started with Dark Blue (70.930) as that would be pretty close to the primary jacket color I've found in my research, then Black (70.950 for the shakos and other hats, and Deep Yellow (70.915) for the jacket lapel/vest. I decided I would finish the night by painting poms and plumes (Deep Yellow again for Voltigeurs, Flat Red [70.957] for Grenadiers, Officers, flag bearers and drummers), cuffs (same Deep Yellow for Voltigeurs and Flat Red for everyone else), epaulets (ibid), and rifles and flag poles painted in Leather Brown (70.871).

Starting to look soldiery.

Poms and Plumes really do help make figures pop.

Night three I moved on to details.  I painted the drums with both Flat Red and Deep Yellow, then painted the Eagles, gorgets, and shako plates in Polished Gold (72.055). Backpacks were painted in Leather Brown, smaller pouches were in Flat Earth (70.983), and bedrolls were painted in Neutral Grey (70.992). Lastly I painted skin in a 3:1 mix of Basic Skin Tone (70.815) and Flat Flesh (70.955).




On night four I wanted to finish up the primary coloring on the figures before moving on to a wash. I mixed up a 3:2 of Gunmetal Grey (70.863) and Chainmail Silver (72.053) for bayonets and rifle barrels and slapped that all over. Swords were painted in pure Chainmail Silver, with officers' sword hilts painted in 1:1 of Tinny Tin (72.060) and Old Gold (70.878), and any other sword hilts in just Tinny Tin. Sheathes were painted in 1:1 Bright Bronze (72.057) and Tinny Tin or Chainmail Silver. Drum heads were painted in thinned Honeycomb (942) from Folk Art paints (a crafting quality paint). I completely forgot that my Voltigeurs needed some green in the plumes and epaulets so I painted on some Flat Green (70.968) appropriately. Lastly I painted crossbelts and other straps in White (70.951), and for some reason I'd totally forgotten to paint hair so I used a 10/0 brush to add a little thinned out Apple Barrel (another crafting-quality paint) Brown Oxide (20511) knowing full well that my wash will ensure any gaps would be covered.


Decent little command element.

They don't look too terrible, right?

On night five I took my wife out to a concert at the symphony, so the only thing I had time to do after we got home was splash on a wash and call it a night. I used Flesh Wash (73.204) all over knowing full well that I would be touching up the figures in the morning to bring out the brighter colors. Also, I didn't mind the fact that the figures overall would look a little "grimier" as I'm of the mind that soldiers get dirty and sweaty (can confirm: I'm a soldier). Uniforms aren't perfectly pressed and cleaned in war. That being said because I was finishing up the wash later into the evening I didn't take any photos. Oh well.

The following day I was (as I am typing this, still am) stuck in a two day-long Zoom training where I don't have to talk much, and don't need to be on camera. So naturally this gave me the opportunity to finish up the figures. So, next I touched up the whites, yellows, metallics, and some areas of black. I also realized I'd forgotten to paint up the drum sticks, so I mixed up a 1:1:1 mix of Folk Art Honey Comb with Apple Barrel Brown Oxide and some water using leftover paint on my wet pallet. My next steps were basing the figures up on Wargames Accessories #10 Metal Base Stands (3/4" x 1") and one Litko 1.25" x 1.25" plywood base for the command stand (these had previously been spray painted green with Design Master Basil [676]).


The next step was putting down some flocking. So I mixed up some PVA glue with Apple Barrel English Ivy Green 20756 in order to cover up the white leftover on the individual figure bases, and slapped it on.
Not pretty, but it does the job.

After that it was swishing the figures around in a BTC Open Flock Mix created by my good friend Doug Kline at Battlefield Terrain Concepts.

This stuff is so nice it almost feels like cheating. Almost...

Et voila, we have two battalions and a command stand!

Regimental command stand.

Close up of 1st Batallion.

The Regiment thus far.




My paint job is what I would describe as just slight better than tabletop quality (meant to be seen from 3' or more away). I'm not very good. More often than not, to be honest, I actually pay someone else to paint my minis nowadays. However, I'm starting to enjoy the process again, even if my miniatures are a bit rough-and-ready, and wouldn't win any contests. I did order some wonderful fabric flags for them from Maverick Models, but they have not arrived. Please accept my humble apologies for sending forward units sans flags.

Anyhow, this is my entry for the week. Not too shabby I hope. In summation, my points are calculated as follows:

50 x 15mm foot @ 2 = 100 points
Glorantha (Outer Ring) bonus = 20 points
Total = 120 points

Until next time where I think I may try for diving headfirst into the Warp Maelstrom that I skirted to travel from Istvaan V to Glorantha. Millsy, what challenge do you lay before me?

Forest

From Millsy:

You're a man after my own heart Forest. I love 15mm Naps and I love the French and their allies even more!

I'm not sure what is more impressive in this post, the miniatures themselves or the depth of detail you put into the words wrapped around them. Either way, its a cracking entry and well worth the 120 points. I've not painted any Battle Honours stuff myself but they look pretty good and your paint job is better than you seem to think yourself. I'd be happy to have them grace my table any day!









34 comments:

  1. These are awesome and great to see the tried and tested lollypop stick technique, an essential when painting Napoleonics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lollipop sticks are a must for me! I don't even know how I would do it any other way!

      Delete
  2. Well done Forest. Napoleonics - always awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg! I'll try to get some more done before the end of the challenge!

      Delete
  3. Thanks, it’s good fun painting these up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, I had scads of 15s Nappies in the day. Love the bright yellow on these poles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like the yellow too! Makes them really pop on the table in a sea of blue!

      Delete
  5. Hi Forest, it’s great to see you back with a second big entry and lovely to read the WIP stages and to see how how much you’re enjoying this. Poles in French service are romantic and gallant troops and yours look the part, aren’t the Elting/Knotel books great?
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! If you think this is a big entry, check out my recent one about the Alamo! I really am enjoying this though. I do love the Elting/Knotel books. I'm so glad I purchased the entire 4 volume Elting set back around 2005. I'm not sure I could afford it now!

      Delete
  6. Great work Forest. I get very nostalgic when seeing 15mm Napoleonics as they were amongst my first 'real' wargame projects. Your mention of Elting's work made me look wistfully at my copies, and reminded me that I should do some additions to my Napoleonic collection sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur, Curt. To parody an already ridiculous phrase, "Make Napoleonics Great Again!"

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking Napoleonic French and nice step by step too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! I'm glad you enjoy reading the process!

      Delete
  8. That’s some very fine work on those tinies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! About 15 years ago I had a friend who made some HIGHLY DETAILED 1/400 scale Napoleonics. I'm talking 1/400 with the same detail as you would see on a 10mm miniature now. I painted them up with about as much as detail as you see here. That was REALLY hard to do! not sure I can do it now.

      Delete
  9. A long story, but a pleasure to read, very nice to read. And the brushwork is good, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teemu! I think I'm going to be one of those "long story" people in the challenge. I so used to writing multi-page reports all the time I'm not sure I can write short posts! ;-)

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed reading your process. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natasha! I like being able to write out the process in detail. It's a bit of a painting journal for me, and hopefully provides a record of how to do it again if I want to replicate the unit.

      Delete
  11. Informative stuff Forest and excellent results

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will strive to always talk about my process in my posts, if only to be able to remind me in the future what I did so I can replicate it if needs be!

      Delete
  12. Great stuff Fforest - its great to see some 15mm Napoleonic and Poles in particular

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The flags finally came in, so in a future post I'll put up a picture of the final units complete with their colors!

      Delete
  13. Always love 15mm Napoleonics, great journey through getting them to the table in this post 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ken! I'm sure I'll get some more Napoleonics on the table before this over. I have a bunch of 15mm South American Wars of Liberation figures to paint still!

      Delete