Saturday 15 January 2022

From TeemuL: The Good and the Bads of Menzoberranzan (27 points)

Today I present you another squirrel from my collection, some drows (dark or black elfs) from the Forgotten Realms, one of the fantasy worlds of ADD. These are from The Legend of Drizzt Board Game, a simple dungeon crawler from FFG. Drows are basically bad guys, forced to live underneath by the noble elfs. They are bittered, murderous, selfish etc. However there is one (at least) good guy, the legendary Drizzt Do'Urden, who escaped the dungeon city of Menzoberranzan after murdering one of his kin. He has conscious, which makes him different from other drows. He has few friends, a dwarf, a halfling, couple of humans, magic panther and so on, but because of his race, he is usually not trusted and people like to keep distance.

Most of them have purple eyes (the middle one has blue eyes)

From left to right, Drow Wizard, Drizzt and 3 Drow Duellists. The Duellists are similar with strange clothing, which I couldn't figure out, so I just splashed some colors and made them look a bit different. I tried to use dark, sinister and dramatic colors, the evil guys usually like that sort of thing and they are game pieces, so they need to be easily seen.


The backside of the bad guys, the blue guy has all blue overall, the other two have different colors in front and back. Wizard has fancy fur cloak. All have similar white hair, which I achieved painting Leviadon Blue Contrast over white and then heavily drybrushing with white. Simple, but it works.

The bad guys

Here is an angled view and Duellists have quickly rearranged themselves. The cobblestone effect is rather nice and easy to achieve as well. This time I painted the base black and then used dark grey (Mechanicus Standard Grey) to paint irregular roundish shapes. After that dried I took a lighter grey (Light Grey from Coat d'Arms) to paint a narrow line on one of the edges on the each stone, all in the same edge to create illusion of 3D stones. Sometimes I paint the base dark grey and then separate the stones with black lines before the light grey edge. This is easier, I think, and looks better and not that systematic. Painting tiles would work that way, I believe.


In couple of sources it is said that Drizzt has green cloak, so I painted the cloak green. That is just two layers of Contrast paint, so all the shadows and edges come from the paint pot, not from my skills.

Drizzt Do'urden

Just the metals (like the scimitars Twinkle and Icingdeath of Drizzt) are painted with metallics and the base with regular paints, everything else is Contrasts.

That is 5 ADD Boardgame 28mm minis, so 25 points total

My personal Squirrel count: 8

- 20mm Napoleonic

- 28mm Sludge

- 28mm Pulp

- 28mm Warhammer 40000 Xenos

- 28mm General (including Gloranthan) Fantasy

- 1:300 Cruel Seas

- 6mm Epic Imperial Fists

- 28mm ADD Boardgame

From Millsy:

You're a painting machine Teemu! Three posts in one day, all from completely different subjects and scales is quite something.

I really like how you've gone about painting your Drow. I always imagine them as drab and dark so it's a change of pace to see some painted in a more bright palette. It challenges my preconceptions which is great. The basing is great too, and worth another couple of points for the execution. Nice one mate!

31 comments:

  1. Millsy, I usually do different squads at the same time, so there is always something to do while waiting. Sometimes it comes to 3 posts, when publishing weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you've done here Teemu. You are right, playing pieces do need to be clearly different colours, too many times I have played games where someone has been moving the wrong piece for four turns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, it is very true. Gaming pieces need to be functionally colored.

      Delete
  3. A D&D star, well done Teemu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy! Love the old ADD feel of these guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thamks Peter! These were almost done for Saturday last week, but not. That's way so much this week.

      Delete
  5. Great looking d&d dark elves!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, the bright colors seem to make them alive.

      Delete
  6. I really like the punchy colours for your Drow and great work on the cobblestone effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy on my cobblestones, glad you liked it.

      Delete
  7. Very colourful minis Teemu!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, fantasy minis give license to paint colorful minis. :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing your cobblestone process, it looks very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like all of the bright colours, drow are usually in dark colours but these really stand out and I can just imagine that the fashion discussions they have between themselves now are far more interesting than commenting on each other new black cloaks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, if they would only wear dark, they would look boring - at least painted by me.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful, colourful and crisp work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, colorful and crisp were my goals, I guess.

      Delete
  11. Wow, pretty amazing or even pretty & amazing! lovely colours

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some lovely work on those, great colours

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks Barks! Glad you liked them, even without skulls.

      Delete