Saturday 15 January 2022

PeterB: Epic Chaos Space Marines + puppies [Coruscant] - (200 points)

Briefly, can I just say as a first time challenger I am really enjoying this. I didn't know what to expect but I am amazed by the vast variety of manufacturers and historical periods/fantasy worlds represented so far this year. Unfortunately as I commented yesterday on GeoffreyT's post, this just means that there are too many things already I want to buy and add to my lead pile (thus ensuring I will want to join the challenge next year to clear the pile again.)

Anyway, so consulting my star chart I believe I have already cleared 4 planets:

Arla - The Balrog

Vulcan - Legolas

Babylon 5 - The Dire Wolf

Quick yacht trip - Female Knight

Istvaan V - Iron Snake Space Marine

Therefore I shall be leaping into the middle ring on to the planet Coruscant with the theme Good vs Evil. Well what can be more evil than the armies of Chaos, in 6mm scale. 

Yep, whoever decided we should wargame in 6mm could be considered good, for we can now easily create massive fields of battle in the comfort of our own homes with just a dining table (possibly extended with the middle leaf folded out) and a green baize tablecloth.

Yet, they could be considered evil, for expecting us to paint details so tiny, it makes me weep, weep the tears of a man who has painted the pauldron trims on Space Marines in 6mm, or freestyled the symbol of Khorne on both sides of the banner flags on the back of  30 Juggernaughts of Khorne.


Juggernaughts of Khorne

Tower of Skulls and Cauldron of Blood

Minotaurs and Khorne Space Marines

Space Marines Dreadnoughts

Chaos Space marines, including a sorcerer at the front

I have also been working on a project that I should have actually been painting instead of swanning around the planets painting random things from my lead pile. I am actually currently working on a fantasy halfling army for Dragon Rampant and fell in love with these guys at Salute this year:




I am not claiming these for any particular planet. Just their points. They are pretty tall for halflings if I am honest, so I am hoping Millsy will allow me to claim 10 points a pop for them.

For the points then:

30 x Juggernaughts of Khorne in 6mm scale. 30 points

2 x vehicles in 6mm scale. 4 points

12 x minotaurs in 6mm scale. 6 points

20 x Khorne Space Marines in 6mm scale. 10 points

4 x Dreadnoughts in 6mm scale. 4 points

80 x Chaos Space Marines in 6mm scale. 40 points.

10 x Halfling dog riders in 28mm scale. 100 points.

Grand total = 194 points.

From Millsy:

Some great Epic scale Chaos stuff here Peter! I'm both horrified and seriously impressed that you hand painted (!) all those Khorne symbols at 6mm scale. Crazy stuff mate. I honestly can't decide which unit I like best from the Chaos stuff, it's all just wonderful.

I've been unimpressed with the Mantic hobbits to date but I really like these. Which is bad news. First time challenger and you're already suffering from Challenge Temptation Syndrome (CTS) and giving me a good dose too.

A cracking entry mate. I'm rounding it up to 200 points because of all that Khorne symbol craziness. Belter!

19 comments:

  1. Nice work Peter. I think your assessment of good and evil is spot on. 😀
    Fine brushwork, it is always great to see some Epic stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a chuckle out of the good vs evil discussion. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid looking teeny tiny forces of evil, great juggernauts! Love the mounted halflings!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous work on those Epic figures. Hand-painted banners? Bonkers. The strapping Halfling cavalry are excellent as well. Are those Lurchers that they are riding? Delighted you're having a good time with the Challenge. More please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. They could be Lurchers, definitely some breed of herder.

      Delete
  5. Of course a Halfling Dog Rider would wear a top hat into battle, very nice! Is his name Picton? The wee 40k guys get my respect as a fellow 6mm painter. Are the skulls and cauldron combat elements or part of the logistical B echelon? 😏
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what they function as yet (I haven't read the background) I think in the latest incarnation of Epic they just proxy as a big gribbly tank. Back in the day Epic had soooo many different vehicles with lots of special Rules, they streamlined them all for Epic Armagedden.

      Delete
  6. Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s some lovely work, Peter. Especially like the Epic stuff

    ReplyDelete
  8. CTS is a very real thing,’… be careful! Great painting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. More 6mm Space Marines on Coruscant! I can relate to your pain with those small details. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That’s a boat load well done. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Top group of Epic figures 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete