Saturday 15 January 2022

From PaulOG: Chaos Hellbrute and Razormouth (Skaro)(53 points)


My next quadrant stop is Skaro, planet of Strange Doctors and Weird Robots. Ironically it is here, and not Istvaan V, that we find my next submission - a Chaos Hellbrute/Dreadnought. Basically, this is a hulking murder obsessed robot named KILLFRENZY who is controlled by an insane, blood craving heretic. Good times!



For the 40k affectionados this is a converted Blood Angels Death Company Dreadnought fitted with a pair of nasty looking Blood Talon close combat weapons, heavy flamer and storm bolter.  Lost in battle when its former pilot succumbed to wounds, the happy-go-lucky World Eaters salvaged it and interred their own ill-mannered psychopath who rather enjoys his new toy and its plush (if somewhat blood spattered) upholstery.

I enjoyed sculpting the battle damage and trying to get a more dynamic feel to what is a rather static and boxy sculpt, even trying some OSL and 3d printed effects (Translation - yes, I again made the classic Challenge error in being completely obsessed with minor detail on a single model). I also used some new techniques with oil washes over acrylic base coats.; it certainly takes a lot longer to dry and I haven't got it quite right yet, but I got the grungier look I wanted.  I'm trying to improve my basing game too and did more in that regard with a slain foe who, quite coincidentally, looks remarkably just like the new Thousand Sons force that Reilly is painting... 

"All is Dust..."

While I'm here I'll also post this strange little fellow whom I found lurking in my stash: a Razormouth from the Reaper Black Bones series. I built him as a beastie for Silver Bayonet, but he will be equally at home in the Necromunda Underhive or similar.

Overall I would like to claim a combined 25 points for the large Dreadnought model and his fallen adversary, 5 more for the Razormouth and a 20 planetary bonus for a total of 50 points (and 10 skullz for anyone counting). 


That completes my 4 outer sphere planets (Istvaan V, Glorantha, Klenadathu and Skaro) and so I now transit via the adjacent Great Abyssal to start the challenge of the middle ring...


From Millsy:

I see I'm not the only one being suckered into fiddling with detail! Well worth the effort though Paul, that Hellbrute is an absolute beast and looks amazing! I'd love to see WIP pictures if you have them. I had a good laugh at the 1000 Sons corpse on the base.

Good to see I'm not the only Chaos afficionado tweaking the nose of the loyalists with cheeky basing elements. I really like what you achieved here making it look like he's be chopped into pieces and sand/dust is leaking out (is that right?).

Cracking stuff all round and certainly worth a few extra points for the custom work and the basing. Nice one mare!

30 comments:

  1. That's a great conversion of a Dread there. I remember back in the day being super excited when the first Blood Angels Dread came out at the idea of a combat heavy Dread charging across the battlefield. This one is even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks indeed Peter! I too had one of those old metal Dreanoughts- loved it1 Sadly lost to time now...

      Delete
  2. They are both good looking and it is always a nice touch to add some narrative to the base.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, oil paints - the hobby solution looking for a problem…

    Great work on these figures, especially that bonkers dread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some reet monster figs, lovely 👍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Paul. Love the dad vs son game going on here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - we are a decade or so into the niggling act with many more to come I hope :-)

      Delete
  6. Both those entires seem nice - NOT! But they are well painted and that basing! Lovely stuff.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous work Paul! That Hellbrute is magnificently terrifying (and I love the Thousand Son with the sand detail - perfect). I also really like that Razormouth. A great little pet for a Silver Bayonet scenario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt! I am forced to model Reilly's dead soldiers these days - they are about the only ones I defeat now :-)

      Delete
  8. Awesome looking dreadnought and the beast is great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. That’s a hell of a brute Paul ;–) Love it

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did such a great job on all the fine details of the Hellbrute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superb work on that Hellbrute model. Fabulous stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome work mate! The 40K space thingy looks even better 'in the flesh' - you nailed the oily, scorched look of ill-treated metal, and I love the fallen enemy. The beastie reminds me that I'm overdue a trip to the dentist....

    ReplyDelete
  13. That should send those Romanians packing! Wonderful weathering- but are there any skullz?

    ReplyDelete