Saturday 15 January 2022

From ByronM - Death Guard Traitors for Istvaan V (45 points)

In typical fashion, I had grand visions of planning out my challenge painting projects ahead of time, and in typical fashion, never did...  So after finishing last weeks submission I madly looked at the star map to try to figure out where to go next and what to paint (which is a lovely and cool map by the way, I just never had any real chance to look at it and pre-plan!), and saw that the next stop on my path was:

Istvaan V: Betrayal; Heretical/Heretics or Loyalty/Loyalists


Well, that's lucky, as I have a pile of Warhammer 30k Death Guard models from Forge World and have been meaning to get around to paint some more specialty weapons!

So, here is a small squad of 5 Death Guard Heretics with meltaguns suitable for clearing out the loyalist scum that worship the false emperor.

These are done in a very grimy style similar to how I did the core of my force a few years ago.  They are painted a bone colour as a base, then washed with a mix of weathering powders in IPA so that it flows well through the recesses, and then wiped off the higher areas with a Q-tip with IPA on it.  I then go back and paint all the details and they are done.  Overall a simple fast and effective method to get these guys looking like they just lived through the bombing and exterminatus protocol that happened on Istvaan V. 

Being a small squad of 5 28mm models this should net me 5 points each (25 points total) plus 20 points for the Istvaan V bonus for 45 total points.  Oh and as my 3rd different themed entry they also net me one additional squirrel point to bring my total there to 3.

From Millsy:

Someone else painting Death Guard! What a great bunch these are Byron, the 30K vibe is such a different look from the stuff I am painting and so very tempting too. The weathering powders mixed with pale ale is something I'd never have considered but it works very well indeed :-P

More please! 

25 comments:

  1. These guys look great. Love the painting technique, might have to borrow *ahem*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borrow away... it was someone elses technique before mine I am sure... and if you search on the blog I did a how to in way more detail about 2 years ago, just check for my name, 30k, death guard and I am sure you will find it.

      Delete
  2. They do look great, properly dirty. I have not dared to inspect 30k in detail, but does ir work better in 28mm than 40k or is it just more good looking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, no it doesn't work any better at 28mm than 40k, and in many ways worse since there are so many large bonkers vehicles in 30k. But GregB dragged me into it with his amazing collection and it does look pretty on the table.

      Delete
    2. Well, that's a good excuse! :D

      Delete
  3. Mark II armor. Sweet! These guys will be a great addition to your force Byron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, now if only I could find where I put the other 5 members of the squad.... hopefully I can find those models before the end of the challenge and add them to it for more melta goodness!

      Delete
    2. Hmm, did you give them to me? I seem to remember having a bag of Marines here in my stocks.

      Delete
    3. I certainly hope not, these were original FW's with melta guns... And I thought they were already primed bone colour so I seriously doubt it. Thanks for thinking of it though Curt.

      Delete
  4. Smashing looking Space Marines 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exterminatus protocol sounds unpleasant but glad these guys came through it looking so good, great painting job.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is.... it's when the "good guys" in the 40k universe decide that a planet is too far gone to save so they drop a bomb on it that either A) releases a retro virus that destroys every living thing on the planet or B) burns away the atmosphere and all water so that life is impossible on that planet for all time. Notice how good guys were in quotes.... no such thing in 40k, there is only bad and worse...

      Delete
  6. Wonderful work Byron. Love the weathered MK II armour. A bunch of nasty, hard nuts to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid looking Death Guard!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look excellent Byron. A simple and effective painting method which captures the Death Guard essence perfectly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, i never could go in on clean Death Guard, not with their lore…. Now the pansy good guy Ultramarines, those need to be clean, but not the Death Guard.

      Delete
  9. These look great! I’ve not heard of weathering powder before, it sounds like magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite magic, but very useful and very easy to use (in various ways for various effects).

      Delete
  10. Nice job, and IPA is a brilliant idea, I may steal it also. Much better way round than deciding to drink painting water.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Lovely" grimy, slimy oozy Death Guard perfectly elucidated by your brushwork Byron.

    ReplyDelete