Monday 21 February 2022

From JamesM: A mixed batch of 15mm Battlefront Grilles (32 points)

Hi folks,

A second entry this week, but a similar theme. I present four Battlefront resin and metal 15mm vehicles, in the form of two '15cm Schweres Infanteriegeschütz 33 (Sf) auf Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) Ausf. H' (Grille Ausf. H) self propelled infantry guns, and two '15cm Schweres Infanteriegeschütz 33/1 auf Selbstfahrlafette 38(t) (Sf) Ausf. M' (Grille Ausf. K) self propelled infantry guns. Catchy names! Hence they most often go by the name Grille (Cricket). 

These are basically two versions of the same concept, using the same base Czech Panzer 38(t) tank chassis and 15 cm sIG 33 infantry gun. 

Grille H

Grille K

I ended up with both versions due to happenstance and lack of clarity in sources. Someone gave me a single Grille K model, and so I bought another to be able to field a pair. Then Battlefront brought out the newer version of the Grille H, and the old v3 Flames of War books puts this version in Normandy. My own research seems to show that 12th SS Panzer may have had both, with some Grille K's being delivered as the campaign went on. Either way, I figured they were cool little models and I would find a use for them. 

I treated these in a similar way to my half-tracks, using the same paint colours. For camo patterns I go with the whole 'Schmidt has been told to paint the camo on, but he's meeting his French girlfriend in two hours and only has a mop' method. I keep camo patterning within platoons the same, but each platoon has a different style. The camo is then dulled down with a stipple of the base camo colour. 

Hull numbers have been added to the superstructure sides (514-515 and 524-525), along with German crosses, divisional markings to the front and rear hull numbers on the Grille H. Decals are a mix of Skytrex and Dom's Decals. I also weather down the markings a bit, just to make them a little less fresh looking. 

These vehicles would be from the 5th Company of III battalion, 26 SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment, 12th SS Panzer Division. 





I added foliage in keeping with the other models in this project, but also as one of the models was dropped and damage caused to the fighting compartment walls. Some hasty repairs resulted, and the damaged area covered with some foliage!

Some Tamiya weathering product has been applied, but other than that I've gone light on weathering. I may go back and add some soot to the gun barrels!

I do have gun crew for these models, and they will be painted and added post challenge. For now the models are table ready!

These four 15mm vehicles clock in at 32 points. 

I've heard it said that the baddest gangstas all sport a Grille!  Wonderful looking kit here James, love the basing, weathering and quick camo job which might actually be quite effective.    Having spent long (happy) hours researching RN naval camo, I know that what's on hand tends me the most frequently applied coloration and whatever they feel like they feel like that still fits in general guideline the most common pattern.

I had a chuckle over the comments on  your "due to happenstance and lack of clarity in sources"  excuse.  I'll have to borrow that for some of my over completeness purchases, like trying to build every Allied destroyer that served in the Med in WW2.






9 comments:

  1. Those look like you wouldn't want them to get up in your grill. You're a master with these 15mm WWII models James. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really really nice AFVs, congrats on the masterful cammo work, basing is also top notch.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, I like how you have faded the transfers on these (and the previous ones). The simple camo is good and overall these vehicles are great!

    ReplyDelete