Monday 21 February 2022

From Mike W - 28mm Warhammer Saurus Oldblood Unit (100 Points)

So here is my last post of the week, the weekend is looming and I have a lot of baby sitting and granddaughter hugging 'duties' lined-up, meaning that the other posts that I'm working on will need to wait until next week now. Hopefully they will get finished off relatively quickly and I can see if I can catch-up on my planned schedule?!

However to this post - 20 x Warhammer Fantasy Saurus Oldblood Lizardmen. The previous Lizardman foot unit that  completed were of the more modern plastic boxed set, whereas these guys are from Games Workshop's first edition plastic lizardmen.

The completed Saurus Oldblood Unit

My aim with this unit is to try and reflect that these guys are from an older more primitive Lizard line by giving them a darker colour palette, so I went for a dark green body with light blue scales to form their natural protective armour.

Close-up of some of the Lizardmen, slimy, wet skin effect is deliberate!
Yes I know that lizards a not really slimy but hey - this is fantasy wargaming!

To try and tie them into the more modern figures I did their weapons in a similar black and grey finish, albeit with leather bindings and grips. I mixed a base coat of medium green with some salamander green - about 50:50 and applied this over a grey undercoat. When dry I applied a strong tone wash before picking out all the armoured scales in Sky Blue, over which I applied a blue wash to give them shading and depth.

First of the Saurus Roll Call 

Claws and horns were added in appropriate colours as were the leather loincloths and weaponry in black and grey. Jewellery was added using Bright Brass paint and mouth, tongue and teeth details were added before a Satin Varnish was applied - to give them a slippery, wet look.

Five more mug shots

And another five

Figures were based in my normal manner. You'll notice that there are no command figures for this unit, I'll be starting a search of eBay to get some in as soon as I get some time!

The last group of five

The same five from behind, to show the detail of their armoured scales

On reflection I should maybe have done these guys in blue with green scales but they're done now and I'll not be changing them! Watch out for some supporting Skink Archers next week, when I get them finished...

POINTS

20 x 28mm Foot Figures = 100 Points

Nice looking Saurus unit Mike.  I really like he blue scales on green, but I'll guess you'll have to do another regiment from a different species to compare the green on blue effect.  I'm no biologist so won't question the slimy skin, but maybe they just molted?


10 comments:

  1. very nice, I did mine in black but these are more striking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking Saurus unit!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. Always fancied having a go at painting lizardmen

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lightning is not perfect, but this green and blue scheme seems to work fine - especially the rear view, which is the view you get to see most on the board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we've had bad storms here the last week or so and the light has been terrible for taking photos. That and relying on my mobile phone as the camera doesn't always give the best pictures

      Delete
  5. Hi Mike:

    Lovely lizards, lovingly laquered. Really good work, I'd love to see your lizard army on table. This Challenge has been good to lizard lovers like me.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on these classics!

    ReplyDelete