Wednesday 16 March 2022

From EdwardG: Allez le Bleu!! (210pts)

Hi all, 

Another year, another Challenge. Wow! This one has gone quickly. Quite how or where it went, I am not sure, but I have luckily been able to (just) make my points total! This last week it has been a bit of a seat of the pants ride to get over the line. But with this, final, entry I am there.

So on with the minis. 

These are the bulk of my Gallic 28mm DBA army. They are a mixture of Victrix and Warlord plastics. Tbh, as miniatures, I am not really a fan of either. The Victrix are too detailed for my standard painting style, while the Warlord's poses seem more at home in an 80s bodybuilders only rave mosh pit than a battlefield. And I am rather worried about the level of dehydration within the army. But they mix reasonably well, and following my discovery that only half of the Victrix kit comes as shirtless minis, the Warlord minis were a nice alternative. The reason for shirtless, is mostly because I whimped out of having my Gallic warriors in the full buff. I wish to portray fast moving, hard hitting,  but brittle fighters. And so I was keen to not have any armour on show, bar the odd helmet (Gentlemen please, there are ladies present). However, now they are done, I feel like I have just completed a 2mth long life drawing class. So perhaps I should have shelved my prudish reservations. It certainly would have saved on trying to attempt stripy trousers.  

Still, I followed on my tradition from last year and hand painted the shields. Something that was fun but draining, and which I should probably learn my lesson and just do what everyone else does and buy transfers. Trying to come up with 40 random shield patterns that I could paint was not easy. But I am happy with the final outcome, even if some of them look a little odd. 






In an effort to keep the post short, due to the lateness of the evening here. I will jump straight on with the scoring. 

I have:
40 x 28mm foot @5pts each = 200pts

Before signing off, I would like to thank Curt and all the minions for their hard work keeping this challenge going. It is a great community and thank you all for posting such wonderful and inspirational works of miniature soldier art! I am already looking forward to next year :D 

Stay healthy, 
Ed  
 
***
 
From GregB
 
Wow, a little points bomb with hand-painted shields (the thing of nightmares - only painting terrain is worse). I apologize for the Minion confusion, as Millsy posted this while it is still Wednesday here in North America - but just wanted to finish my thought and to congratulate you on painting all of those shield. I threw in some extra points for that.

From Millsy:

Wow Ed. Just wow! That's a very tidy little points bomb, especially this late on. What's far more impressive is the the fact you hand painted the shields. Kudos to you mate and that deserves an extra handful of points!

15 comments:

  1. Great post - love the figures and painting!

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jez! Your Italian Wars figures have been quietly tempting me to a new period, but I am managing to resist for now. But we will see what has happened by the time of the next challenge!

      Delete
  2. Very nice Gauls, and well done for hand-painting all those shield designs! Plus you got two minions for the price of one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin! I must admit I do feel just a little special to be receiving such attention. As for the shields, I think I will be seeing chequer patterns in my sleep for a while to come. :S

      Delete
  3. Great shields Ed. The designs are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shields are mighty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent horde, Ed! Hand painted shields look good and I believe it has been quite a thought process to create all of them. Congrats on achieving your target, see you next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teemu! Your work has been great to follow for the whole Challenge. Certainly looking forward to seeing your work next year!

      Delete
  6. I am honored! Two minions commenting on my meager efforts and a few bonus points! Thank you all for the wonderful messages. They are really inspirational :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job with these Gauls, super impressed by the hand-painted shield art. I chickened out and used pre-printed stickers from Warlord Games.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid looking Celts and lovely hand painted shields!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Gauls and always nice to see hand painted shields.

    ReplyDelete