Wednesday 16 March 2022

From Mike W - 10 x Black Orcs (50 Points)

In this post (the last of this year's Warhammer figures) - I have been working on this unit on and off for the last 6 weeks, with a view to be enable me to go out with a bang as this year's challenge draws to a close!

These figures were purchased direct form my local Games Workshop store some time ago -  can't remember when - and were built to fill a gap in my somewhat extensive Greenskin Army. So far so good. Unfortunately I had a bright idea!

The completed group of 10 (Red) Black Orcs

I was in two minds about the colour to do the armour, options being black (as per Black Orcs) or Red, as I've always liked the Evil Suns, I opted for red as I had a can of red spray paint in the garage. So the idea was good 'un but the execution was bad - the spray paint was a can of Car Repair spray from an old red car of mine, the car was long gone but the spray was still there.

In those days I still undercoated black, which I did and then almost immediately sprayed the models with the Car Spray. Imagine my surprise when the paint did not dry as expected - in fact I think it took several days to fully cure and dry and when done it was not a bright red colour as I'd remembered my car to be - but a browny mauve sort of colour. To top it all, the paint was ultra glossy and almost impossible to get other paints to adhere to.

Close-up of some of the guys, including Musician with drum in centre

Thus it was the figures were consigned to the garage for years without a further look. 

However with this year's challenge and the need for even more figures to paint I decided to try and resurrect these guys. I painted on a white undercoat on the skin areas  of these figures and then started by painting in the Green skin, then a green wash. As these figures are heavily armoured, it made sense to get the skin done before concentrating on the armour. After all these years, the new paint seems to have adhered OK to eth figures.

More of the Orcs, Unit Leader to the right 

I then used neat Vallejo 'Flat Red' to paint the armour, as I did for the recent Squigs post,  washed it with Dark Tone, then added a second coat of Flat Red to make finish consistent, after a dry brushed with a brighter red, I then washed the amour with Sepia Ink to make it 'pop'.

There was a lot of bones, teeth, skulls, tusks and the like to complete and I did these as per previously described, fur that can be found under some armour panels was done in 'Fur Brown' (naturally) and highlighted.

A better view of the Leader and Standard Bearer

All Steel was given a Dark tone was after a Silver paint job, glyphs were picked out in brass or silver and all wood was washed with Strong tone ink to give depth.  I gave the armour a light dry brush of silver to suggest wear and tear on the kit and when dry all were given a matt varnish finish.

I spent some extra time on the standard and the musician's drum to add detail but these followed the same principles noted above. Overall these Black Orcs are VERY RED!

Basing was done in my usual manner with Electrostatic grass and fine sand.

POINTS

10 x 28mm Foot Figures = 50 Points

***

These are indeed the reddest...Black Orcs...I have seen. Perhaps they are Jeremy Corbyn supporters? Anyway, well done on resurrecting an old and stalled project. And it is lovely seeing fantasy figures on proper, square bases as the Hobby Gods intended. Seeing your points total, you cannot possibly have any figures left to paint? I guess we shall see...

Congrats on adding to the stonking pile of points.

GregB

7 comments: