Wednesday 16 March 2022

From SarahHC: Ending with the Start - Galadriel (28 Points)


Hello Everyone!

Thank you all for the kind words of sympathy after I broke my wrist last week. This winter has been rough - your messages are very much appreciated and heartfelt. ❤️

As many of you know, I have been part of the Challenge in some capacity since its inception.
First as the resident Barista fuelling Curt’s espresso-induced painting madness, secondly as the instigator/cheerleader for painting Female Figures with the Sarah’s Choice Prize.

This year I was encouraged into actually participating despite having never painted anything smaller than a fence! Actually, that is a slight exaggeration, I did take a few art classes during University, but that was a million years ago.

The figure that I present for this final post is MY VERY FIRST FIGURE painted at the kickoff of the AHPC XII. (disclosure: it was a Curt-led tutorial)


Galadriel, Beautiful and Terrible, is a 54mm 3D print (I’m not certain of the provenance, but I’m sure the SnowLord will let me know). I chose this mini as my “first” because the flowing dress and simple details would be straightforward to paint. If it has not been obvious, I’m quite fond of the colour green and in particular the shade I chose for Galadriel’s dress.


I used Citadel Colour Contrast PlagueBearers Flesh over a black primer. For her hair, head-piece and dress trim I chose Vallejo Steel.


In hindsight, I should have used a more multi-tone hair colour palette - maybe a blonde/gold with silver highlights for more vibrancy, texture and depth, enhancing her ‘extra-powerful magickal’ look. I would have also chosen a different metallic colour or a groovy colour shift paint for her head piece, but at the time, I had not yet discovered all the treasures in Curt’s paint arsenal.

Overall, as a first ever painted figure, I’m pleased and it’s great to have documented my painting progress through the challenge. ( is it obvious I live with an archivist?)

My journey through the Quadrant has been sporadic at best, having never left the Outer Ring and was last stuck on Arda. Galadriel will definitely fulfil the requirements for Arda (Tolkien/Fantasy) giving me 20 points plus the 8 pts for the figure itself (reduced a bit as she isn't based).

Woo! If my maths are correct, that’s 28 points for me, for a grand total of 257 points.
My original goal was 100pts, then revised up to 250pts, and now thrillingly, I have bested my modest expectations!

Thank you to my marvellous Minion Tamsin, Team Tuesday and all of the Challengers.
I have had so much fun and learned heaps about painting minis.

😘 Sarah
 
***
 
Congratulations Sarah on besting your goal, and doing so with such a beautiful figure. The Lady Galadriel is indeed a stunning character, and more than fit for Arda. This is a great miniature...when I see this miniature, I picture Galadriel evaluating her options with The One Ring, declining to take it, and then declaring that she has passed the test...well of course she would! 
 
It is interesting to see her in green...the LOTR films had so fixed her with various elemental greys and whites to my mind. But the green is appropriate, providing some "elf" type warmth (and style, of course!). At the same time, your colour selection for her hair maintains the right air of unattainable ethereal beauty. Not too bad for a "first" figure!

I know I speak for many Challengers when I say it has been a real joy to see your painting and have you join the fray. It is always wonderful to learn of new perspectives, to share the views of others as they approach this hobby. And, of course, to have the chance to warn them off painting terrain...

Well done Sarah - 28 points for you. Congrats, and I hope your wrist heals up soon so you can enjoy the spring and summer!

GregB


20 comments:

  1. Great elf lady Sarah -- love the skin tones and shading on the dress and it's been wonderful to have you participating this year and inspiring us with our many and varied female figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Simon,
      This Challenge Community is a terrific place to ‘hang out’ in

      Delete
  2. What an wxcellent choice of character to finish with. You've done a great job with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Galadriel, Sarah! A vaque memory came to my mind from last year, I have painted a green Galadriel, too: https://thepaintingchallenge.blogspot.com/2021/03/from-teemul-galanniel-sorceress-30.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your green Galadriel ‘may’ have sparked my imagination 😘
      Thank you Teemu for all your positive comments

      Delete
  4. And the hobby was poorer before you moved to proper sized brushes. Great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m really here for the flattery. :).
      thank you Martin

      Delete
  5. Wow! Very nice Galadriel Lady Sarah! :D Really great work on the cloth of the dress. Really looking forward to the gems that you paint for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I am thinking of next years challenge …

      Delete
  6. That's a wonderful figure, Sarah! It's been a great pleasure to have you and Tasha on Team Tuesday, seeing you both develop your painting skills along the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pleasure to be on Tamsin’s Totally Talented Tuesday Team 🍷

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. The figure itself is lovely … the drama of her flowing dress is my favourite feature

      Delete
  8. Great work on the green dress. Plague Bearers Flesh doesn't sound like the most pleasant colour, but it looks really nice here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually laugh out loud when I read these paint colour names, some are quite disgusting 🤢

      Delete
  9. Splendid take on Galadriel,lovely shade of green and nice hair tones!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work, she looks positively ethereal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work on Galadriel Sarah. It’s been great to have you take part this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done! The hair looks great. I've got this figure floating about waiting for me to put paint on it...

    ReplyDelete