Wednesday 16 March 2022

From DougM - Gethen - Ice Cold but no Alex - (30 points)

Quickly checking the stash.. aggh.. the German winter grenadiers would take too long, but what's this.. another 3d print? A Storm Giant you say.. right, that's Gethen sorted. Not my normal stuff, and just lots of different colours, washes and overpainting. The Van Gogh of giants perhaps.  But cold.. very cold...  



This chap stands 65mm tall, so counting as a 54 mm figure = 10 plus 20 for Gethen = 30 by my maths. And I think that now adds 'Fantasy' as a Squirrel! Taking my total Squirrel points to 13.

  • 1/200 WW2 Japanese Aircraft
  • 1/200 WW2 US Aircraft
  • 1/200 WW2 British Aircraft
  • 1/200 WW2 German Aircraft
  • 1/144 WW1 British Aircraft
  • 1/144 WW1 German Aircraft
  • 28mm German Armour
  • 28mm Japanese Armour
  • 28mm 12th SS Panzer infantry
  • 28mm Indian Mutiny Sepoys
  • 28mm Dr Who
  • 28mm Austrian Napoleonic
  • 28mm (and larger!) Fantasy

***
 
Very nice painting on this chilly fellow Doug. I can practically see his breath freezing in the air...well done.

GregB

17 comments:

  1. Brrr-rrrr-rrr! Nice giant, Doug! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin - and somehow my posts got out of sequence, there was supposed to be a 'Krypton' post before this one :)

      Delete
  2. Man, that's a superb Frost Giant. Well done Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise indeed from yourself, I rather enjoyed it as a one off painting challenge, but I don't play any fantasy these days, Might have to get into Dragon Rampant or something.. especially as i have a few more 3d prints up my sleeve..

      Delete
  3. That does look great and as others have said give a good frosty look

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Very nice painting here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the deep shadows on this paint job, it gives him the gravitas of being a giant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More a result of starting with a much too dark colour scheme, and layering on that I suspect. But it is a fun piece. I laid down the base colours and hated it, so it's been worked and worked..

      Delete
  6. Your frosty technique is fantastic! *shiver*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha, and Baking Soda is your friend, just make sure you seal it really well as otherwise it will soak up moisture and ruin a figure.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu. Not much of a gentleman I'm sure. He looks like the sort to pick his teeth with an icicle after a feast of murder hobo.

      Delete
  8. Splendid looking frost giant!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. A happy accident then. I nearly binned him after the first day...

      Delete
  9. He makes me cold just looking at him. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Barks... i just keep chucking paint at it till I like it... :)

      Delete