Wednesday 2 March 2022

From EdwardG - A little last minute planet hop (Vulcan and Perelandra) (55 points)

 Evening all, 

I hope that although this is coming in late on the submission day, I can still slide under the slowly closing stone door and make it through while still wearing my hat! 

Within the lead pile I have managed to excavate a couple of minis that are useable for my last planetary landing attempts. After this I am planning on getting my head down and attempting to finish the main target project for this Challenge. While the last few weeks speed their way past in a blur. 

My first planetary port of call is Vulcan. Now this called for something logic (not a hope in hell), or with pointy ears (slightly more potential, but only slightly). I was inspired when a comment to a previous post of Moonstone minis was commented on that the Bunnies would have fitted the bill for Vulcan had I not already entered them for another planet. This got me thinking! So a re-visit to the moonstone stockist nearby, and I came away with another box of minis! Which of course I needed....This was the Malachite Mystics box set for anyone in the know. Within this box were a couple of minis that fitted perfectly the pointy ears requirements. I decided to paint the one with the pointiest ears of the bunch. So I present Raegan, Leshavult Priestess. She has some very useful powers and seems like she could nicely buff up Boris in his bunny summoning, so I am looking forward to trying to play the mini! I decided on a yoda-esque colour scheme, and was quite happy with the final result. 






Now I have managed to finally complete the outer planetary ring, I can finally start to take small steps deeper into the Quadrant. Even though I am very late in my ventures. 

For my next planet fall, I would look to land on the sea based planet of Perelandra. The Oceanic theme was a tough one for me, as I never normally paint naval or anything of that genre. However, I did remember that I had a mini which I had bought during the course of last year on the basis that it looked fun and might be useful as a Curtgeld or similar in this year's Challenge (I really like having this reason when explaining purchases...) Tbh, I cannot remember where I found him, or his make. But for me, there are few things more of the ocean, than a pirate from the golden age of sail! Yaharrrrrrrrr!





The final mini for my submission this evening sadly did not fit any of the available planets. He is neither Good, nor Evil, and certainly not a friend to any. The mini comes from the Medieval Marginalia kickstarter, which are some brilliant sculpts that I am sure will pop up in several future Challenges. It is crazy what people would draw in the margins of books! He is mounted as my 25mm Barker Marker (a 'technical' term for Zone of Control(ZoC) markers. The ZoC being a standard part of Mr. Barker's rules). I attempt to paint a new one for each 25/28mm DBA army that I paint. It is an odd thing, but I feel the Barker Marker is almost part of the army, although it is certainly not something I do for my 15mm DBA armies. But back to the mini. He is pleasantly playing a tune on his lute, but I fear for any of the opponents minis who can hear the tune. 





So down to the scoring:

3x 25mm foot miniatures = 15pts

Vulcan visit = 20pts

Perelandra visit = 20pts

Total = 55pts!



Hope everyone stays healthy and looking forward to getting one final entry in to close out this year and with any luck, just make my points target!! 

Take Care!

Ed

***

"And I came away with another box of minis! Which of course I needed." - the story of our lives. Well said, and well-painted.

Also - squeezing 55 points out of three figures. Now THAT is what we call "Wednesday"!

GregB


9 comments:

  1. Great figures Edward. As a guitarist, it’s the dead guy strumming that I love best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lute player is creepy and intriguing! Delightful figures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great group of figures. I like the pirate's colourful attire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the kind comments! I'm not sure what's happened to the formatting of the post though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome minis. I really like the Yoda-esque mage, the pirate is spot on and the skeleton is just marvelous. Nice to hear the stories behind the minis, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid trio of figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work, Edward! I like them all, but the pirate is my favorite. I like the festive yuletide colors that do not seem very festive on him!;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work on the priestess and pirate, but your Barker Marker is great fun!

    ReplyDelete