Wednesday 2 March 2022

From BruceR, FIW Kings Own, Mediterranean Farm, European Townhomes, Coruscant (160 points)

A busy, yet productive week.  I was to travel out of town for work and was stranded at home with a blizzard.  Ha, more hobby up.  Instead of not getting anything done I had a whole extra day on the front end.  I also forgot the head of the war department (she who will not be named) was out of town for the weekend.  Me, the dog, and the hobby, a good weekend.  

I've shifted from AWI to FIW.  Both are fairly similar with my game of choice Sharp Practice.  These are again my favorite, Front Rank miniatures.  I love the bandages on some and gives the campaign look to the unit.

Here are 8 of King George's own with an NCO leading them into the wilderness.







I was a little burnt out on figures as I had hit it pretty hard prior to the challenge so needed a change.   I looked and I had a number of Sarissa Precision kits to build.  I've not done terrain in the Challenge so I figured give it a try.  I purchased this farm for use with "Infamy Infamy" and figured it would work for WWII Italy as well.  The Roman citizens of last week will likely reside here until the hordes evict them.  The kits are fairly easy to build.  I built the kit and gave it a rattle can of light tan.  Added the stone around the compound.  I than used the airbrush to  paint the courtyard and the roof of the buildings.  I use a little black to make the roof have a sort of 3d weathered look.  I did make all the roof components removable as we like to occupy buildings in our games.  As I usually host I inevitably have hostages left behind by other players.   I did give a dry brush with a purloined makeup brush and did the same inside the rooms of the compound.  The farm is 12" x 12" and 3" high.  I figure 2 6" cubes will be filled by this offer.  If not accurate, no worries.









A drunken shaman pilfering the stores.






One went to together so why not two more.  The next builds are listed as Sarissa Precision Destroyed European Townhouse - Dormer and 3 Storey.  These were a little different to piece together.  They are three levels and built in 6 sections.

Here you can see the different tiers.  



After constructing them I gave it a black rattle can and the inside a light-colored spray trying to keep some black to denote soot or blast marks.  I hand brushed the wooden floors and then used the airbrush again to hit the lower brick and the upper levels.  This turned out to be too smooth even though I again tried to leave some black showing.  I decided to dry brush some highlights and liked the end product.  These are each are 6" x 71/2 " x 7.  Each building fills a 6" cube and I'd be happy with that if approved.  

Here is the Dormer.  






Here is the 3 Storey



Inside half



Both forming the start of the block.  I have one more of each to build.



For the finale this week I jumped into the Warp Maelstrom last week into the middle ring and Greg shot me to Coruscant.  Hmm, good v. evil, or imperial.  Well primed from some time ago is an Italian officer from the Empress Miniature Range.  I had painted the tribal lads for my FFL force in Africa and never returned to the officer.  Well, the Kingdom of Italy in the Abyssinian Conflict should work for imperial.   








Tally for the week.

9 28mm King Georges men         = 45 pts
Mediterranean Farm 2 cubes        = 40 pts
Townhouse Dormer    1 cube       = 20 pts
Townhouse 3 Storey    1cube       = 20 pts
28mm Italian Abyssinian officer  =  5 pts
Planet Corsucant (via Maelstrom)= 30 pts 

Total                                             =160 pts


Sorry if the post is somewhat disjointed.  World events has me slightly discombobulated.  Able to grind out hobby, not so to formulate story.

Stay safe and well.

***

Great work here Bruce. I have to agree, Front Rank are tremendous sculpts, and a joy to paint. Well done on those. I also salute your terrain efforts - I can almost never bring myself to paint terrain, or to faff around with those prickly Sarissa kits. But your efforts show great results! How awesome to have that terrain available for your gaming, and it looks great. Finally, your Italian officer is spot on for the theme at Coruscant!

Great entry today, well done. 

GregB






10 comments:

  1. Lovely looking FIW Brits, very nice, great terrain, the Mediterranean building looks like it can be used across a couple of millennia and the Italian officer is delightful!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I love it. Like figures, my efforts tend to sit for a few months or longer before I get the urge to do terrain. Cheers.

      Delete
  2. Great work Bruce, really like that villa. I do not suffer from Greg’s Terrain-o-phobia and am a big fan of those Sarissa kits. I also am a big fan of Front Rank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I was in Gregs camp, buying 4 ground etc. All building takes time, yet away from minis sometimes is good. The painting is really quite easy as it goes. Cheers.

      Delete
  3. I really like the King's men in striking yellow and red! The farm looks great, but if I may suggest on your future ruins, maybe make the areas next to the holes darker rather than lighter to indicate that they might have been burned or something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking buildings and figures! I really like your Italian Officer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice figures and terrain, Bruce! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Brushwork, Bruce. The foot do look rough and ready for patrol. I really like the terrain you did up and I'm jealous of the snow days. Household-6 forced me to move into town. The plow trucks make sure I do not see a snow day! ;)

    ReplyDelete