Wednesday 2 March 2022

From PaulSS - Ork Boys (70 points)


I've not played any Warhammer for years, but recent visit to the club piqued my interest again and I picked up a unit of Ork Boyz from the Combat Patrol set. I also decided that this is the chance to try out the Contrast Paints that have been getting a lot of buzz lately.


The figures are really nice, easily put together, but they only work one way, sticking these arms on that body is not going to work for you. The only flexibility in the set is the configuration of head and armament for the Boss Nob and the armament for the heavy weapon. 


They are pretty easy to stick together, but the mould lines do need some careful attention. These are a lot bigger than the Orks I painted all those years ago, putting them next to a 28mm figure they tower over them, I reckon these Orks are bigger than the GW ogres I was painting back in the 1980's.


Mindful that I would be using contrast paints that need a light basecoat, after assembly these were sprayed grey, given a very thin wash of Black Grey and then a heavy dry-brush with Ivory. This would hopefully give me a good base to work from. 


Initial thoughts on the Contrast Paints are mixed. Some of them are excellent, others are completely underwhelming, take the Gryph Charger grey, honestly, I've had pints of lager* with more pigment in them. (*original comparison was more a case of an hour after a pint of lager).


The Ork Flesh is woeful too. I thought that I should maybe not have done the undercoat the way I did so I tried painting Ork Flesh off of a light cream base, that was even worse! The Ork skin tones here are me working up off the Ork Flesh with VMC Flat Green with subsequent lighter layers.


There are no metallic paints in the range, so all weapons and armour were done in Black Templar, for the guns and stik-bombs I did a hard edge highlight in off white, but for the armour and bladed weapons I wanted a rusty effect for that added risk of tetanus.


I've had a lot of practice with rust on my recent Gaslands paint jobs, working up from the Black Templar, I added a thin layer of VMC Gunmetal Grey, added some VMC Saddle Brown to that for another layer then a couple of progressive highlights with more VMC Orange added to the mix.


Ten 40mm figures will add 70 points to my total

American Civil War Duel Totalizer: 136 foot, 2 mounted, 4 horses (825pts)

Napoleonic Duel Totalizer: 8 foot, 2 mounted (100pts)

***

Another fun submission from Paul - I have to say, I was surprised to see this one pop up! Not in a bad way at all, just neat to see some good, fun, bog standard 40k Orks (insofar as Orks are ever "standard"). Yes, the Orks of the current collection are very, very big ladz, a mix of scale creep and some manner of desire on the part of the GW sculptors to have the Orks be bigger - as we see with these figures, mission accomplished on that score. 

And Contrast Paints...never seems to match the hype. Advertised as an easy solution to getting figures painted, they in fact depend a great deal on whittling away our precious time on Earth doing things like "zenithal highlighting" and other nonsense. For all of the "ease" of applying the coat of Contrast Paint, I had to do two to three times as much preparation on the base coats underneath...all for results which can really underwhelm - and you get rapid destruction of your brush to boot!

But horses for courses, etc. etc. These new paints are another tool in the kit, and deliver good results in the hands of a talented brush jockey, as you show here.The Boyz look the part, ready to cause some mayhem amid the grim darkness of the far future. Whether painted in Contrast or otherwise, I hope to see more Orks from you in the future!

GregB

21 comments:

  1. Splendid looking orks! Bit surprising to see them and not Napoleonics or ACW but very nice,still haven't jumped on the contrast paint bandwagon, maybe I should?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, based on having dropped over sixty quid on Contrast Paints I don't think they are worth it.

      Delete
  2. Great looking Orks! I have a love/hate relationship with Contrast paints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha, I'm not sure they suit my style

      Delete
  3. Ah, the great debate on contrast paints goes on. I wonder if the wargame world debated like this when changing from enamels to acrylics all those years ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, my migration from enamels to acrylics back in the day was pretty much an overnight transition, I don't see my VMC's going anywhere fast.

      Delete
  4. Luv da Boyz, Paul! They look very snakebitey! I do use the contrast paints and I have marked the glossy ones for do not get again! Creed camouflage and another earthy green with a military name are good mid tones and work really good for mid tones, base I have found. I also use a light green acrylic for a basecoat and use the contrast as a glaze...just and FWI. Do try the creed camouflage though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David.
      Thanks for the tip on Creed Camo too, I'll likely give that a try.

      Delete
  5. Excellent looking green skins Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good looking Orks, Paul! I have used the Contrast paints quite a lot after they were released and I like them. Some of the paints are not that good in my opinion, or my way of work, but most of them fit my way of painting and the style I paint. People of course have different styles and different visions what they want, so it is understandable that not everyone likes them. I have usually used the method "one thick coat" on whitish undercoat and call it done. It works better on some miniatures than others. But based on your output, you have found a way, is it easier or faster than with classic paints, I don't know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Teemu, I'll persist until at least these Orks are completed as a force.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Greg
    Thank you.
    Regarding the destruction of the brushes, I've been noticing that too. I've found that washing in Isopropyl Alcohol cleans out the gunk.
    The preparation of the base layer is indeed the biggest pain, it also means that if you mess up a small area repainting over your mistake is time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent Ork Boyz, love the rusty weapons

    ReplyDelete
  10. WAAAAAAAAGh! I rest my case, great stuff Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look fantastic, your rust works really well and I like the basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, I had a lot of practice with those Gaslands clunkers ;)

      Delete