Wednesday 18 January 2023

From FrederickC - A Short Trip Around the Challenge Studios [Sci Fi] [High Adventure] [Lady Sarah's Limo] (80 points)

  Having completed 'Under Construction' and 'Black and White', I decided to continue eastward to the Sci Fi studio for 'Destination Moon'. I found two highly appropriate miniatures in my retro collection that were wearing spacesuits that looked a lot like the ones worn in the movie. I have no idea who the manufacturer is, so if anyone out there recognizes them, let me know. Like a lot of my minis, I glued these to 25mm fender washers, and added some sand as groundwork. They were then painted using Vallejo acrylics, with the exception of the Partha True Blue. Once again the special challenges are getting me to paint figures that have been sitting in the pending box for a long time.

Destination Moon from 1950
 
My two astronauts with their rocketship in the background

Front view

Back view

 We are now going to head over to the western side of the lot, but since I am too lazy to walk, I am going to buy a ride in Lady Sarah's Limo. The figure is a vintage West End Games Rebel Commando figure that I have painted up in the colours of my planetary militia using Vallejo Gunship Green and a wash of Biel-Tan Green.

Front view

Back view
 

 Having arrived at the High Adventure studio, we are going to film an adaptation of H. Rider Haggard's novel 'King Solomon's Mines'. Our figure is the Big Game Hunter with Shotgun from Grenadier Models 'Call of Cthulu' range. This miniature dates from 1983. It was glued to a fender washer, sand was applied to the base, and it was primed black with an airbrush. The main colours used are Vallejo Flat Flesh, Khaki Grey, and Leather Brown. Iraqi Sand was used for the pugaree, Beige Brown for the gunstock, and Gun Metal for the shotgun barrels. Citadel Reikland Fleshshade was used on the skin areas, and Agrax Earthshade for the rest of the model.


King Solomon's Mines from 1950
 

The mighty hunter faces a charging elephant

Front view

Back view

 The points being claimed are as follows:

4 x 28mm figures @ 5 points = 20 points 

2 x Studio lots @ 20 points = 40 points

1 x Ticket to Ride @ 20 points = 20 points 

 

My movie progress so far

 

24 comments:

  1. Really cool. The rocket etc is very evocative of my childhood. :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A bit before my time (but not by much) ;^)

      Delete
  2. The fellow seems a little calm in the face of the elephant...even with the firearm...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very old school. Really like the rocket ship in the background

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter. I am definitely old school. See my comment to Curt below regarding the rocket ship.

      Delete
  4. Excellent work, Frederick. That rocket is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curt. I must confess that the rocket is an illusion. I took a still from the movie, cropped it down to the rocket, enlarged it to fill an 8.5" x 11" sheet, printed it off, glued it to some card stock, and cut it out. ;^) It's the magic of movie sets.

      Delete
  5. Haha, I love how you created your illusion! The astronauts look very retro, and both the rebel and the hunter are great. However, another prop, the elephant, really does it for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martijn. I have no memory as to how that elephant came into my possession, but it was the perfect item for the photo shoot.

      Delete
  6. The elephant looks too cute to threaten these wonderfully painted minis! Great to find out what recipes you use to get these results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It's actually a baby elephant child's toy in a larger scale, but it was the only jungle animal I had to hand. Thanks, Pete.

      Delete
  7. A lot of fun! I like the rocket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Barks. The model is just a cardboard cutout, but it looks great in the photos, like painted backgrounds on movie sets. ;^)

    ReplyDelete