Wednesday 18 January 2023

From Sarah: Three 10mm Fantasy (Fantastical?) Buildings (70 Points)


Hello Everyone,

Great to be back in this years Challenge and I’m very relieved to have submitted a post before the dreaded 'Director's Cut'
.

During last years Challenge, I painted my very first-ever mini as well as terrain/buildings. Of the three buildings I intended to paint last year, two were finished and the third one sat neglected and sad, lost in the lead pile.

Conveniently, the Snowlord has given us Challengers opportunity to re-visit partially painted figures with the Under Construction Workshop on the Studio Map. Yay!

The two buildings from last year, Sunset Tower and Dusk Hall, were painted in a style I call ‘Monet has lost his mind and is painting small buildings instead of Giverny’

That’s right, behold the mash up of pointillism and impressionism as interpreted by me on the canvas of these wonky, whimsical buildings.

First up, and the entry for the Under Construction, is The Ochre Arms.


Here is The Ochre Arms, unfinished and neglected in the Spring of 2022



...and now finished in all its ochrey glory.



This grand and welcoming building that has stood for centuries. The Ochre Arms is so ancient that the structure itself appears to be part of the landscape.


The ochre tones of yellowish-orange is meant to imbue a warm, welcoming and bright feeling on The Ochre Arms. It’s a good spot to meet up with friends new and old for a pint!

Another wonderfully whimsical building is Moss Manor.


Like The Ochre Arms, Moss Manor is venerable and ancient, and perhaps through Fae Magick has acquired a hidden, secretive aura, blending in with the verdant landscape.



Nonetheless, my favourite of the three, is The WaterHouse.



Like its neighbours, The Ochre Arms and Moss Manor, The WaterHouse has over time taken on the characteristics of its location.



Deep blues turning to light blues& greens, highlighted with silver as though reflecting light off water.

But the coolest features are the small jolly boat hanging off the side, and the use of a longship as a tower!


These three buildings were given a coat of black gesso then a dry brush of a light grey craft paint, followed by a light sand or bone craft paint.

Then I literally gathered up all of Curt’s colour contrast paints, sorted by colour and channeled my inner mad Monet and dabbled paint in a seemingly haphazard fashion until I was done (enough)

I’m sure my carefree paint brush manner drives the Snowlord bonkers … but he was very encouraging and tried to not make too many suggestions. (I made many suggestions, but she ignored most of them. -ed)


Points wise, I think these three buildings take up 1/2 a cube for 10 points

The first building, The Ochre Arms, will give me 20 points for fulfilling the Under Construction criteria.

I’m using Moss Manor to move to the High Adventure area. Moss Manor looks like the home of adventuring Elves. High Fantasy = High Adventure for another 20 Points.

The WaterHouse (in fact all three of these buildings) will be ‘gifted’ to Curt for use on the tabletop, which fulfills the Gift Store criteria for an additional 
20 Points!

That should put me at 70 Points in total. :)



Thanks for stopping in to look at my village!

- Sarah

Minion Miles: Well this is a wonderful submission - I especially like Ochre Manor and the line " my carefree paint brush manner drives the Snowlord bonkers" is both wonderful and earns you a whoping 5 bonus points - nicely done! 

23 comments:

  1. Applying the palette of famous painters to miniatures is a great idea. Let's see if I could paint a Tiger I in the style of Klimt...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For 10mm buildings they have come out so well. Lovely colour palette complimented by the perfect choice of colour on each building. They look "lived in" too which is always important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ... the buildings were fun and I'm thrilled that my mad colour schemes worked out so well .... only if you don't look to closely :)

      Delete
  3. These look awesome. Well done. I can imagine the Ochre Arms ramshackle look could be due to the multiple repair jobs over rhe years after the odd troll accidently spilt a dwarfs pint and wouldn't apologise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ochre Arms has certainly seem it's fair share of bar fights/brawls ..

      Delete
  4. Awesome work on these little buildings, Sarah! As for driving the Showlord bonkers with your painting style...good for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... my mission of making the Snowlord bonkers has only just started .... stay tuned!

      Delete
  5. Great job Sarah. Who's to say Monet did not, in fact, lose his mind and paint this sort of stuff anyway? I mean, do we really KNOW?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you back Sarah! Nice work on these buildings. I end up with an impressionistic style a lot of the time too, mostly out of laziness and lack of skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally lack the skill, but hopefully enthusiasm counts

      Delete
  7. Whoa, grabbing some points in style! Nice to have you back, Sarah! Refreshing minis, colours and techniques in between all this army painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu ... I'm a slow painter, so needed to grab as many points as possible to hit my ambitious target

      Delete
  8. Nice to see you on the roster, Sarah! Those buildings look absolute awesome. Bonkers, sure, but awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I had a lot of fun with the crazy colour scheme

      Delete
  9. Fabulous work, Lady Sarah! I confess, I wasn't sure when you started these buildings, but the final results are really inspired, and as a grouping make them something special. I hope I can find some nice fortifications so they can make up a groovy walled town.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha ... I knew you were dubious ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @miles Thanks for the extra points for my comment of making the Snowlord bonkers, I may continue on that little sideline ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweeeet collection of buildings - They have such character - especially the Water House - beautifully painted.

    ReplyDelete