Wednesday 18 January 2023

From TeemuL: Middle-Earth extras [Limo] (55 points)


"As we all know, adventure movies don't really have a plot, or a beginning or an end, no theme, just lots of action and adventure to keep the audience busy and emotional. 'Wild Wandering Adventures of Murin and Drar during the time of Lord of the Rings' is exactly that, but of course there needs to be some kind of  a script and we have several! At least drafts. There will be flashbacks, so here we have an old dwarf king, there's Mardin with his huge spear and some more warriors for action scenes. There is also an Barrow-wight Lord, we know (and dwarfs know), that there are several treasures buried in Barrow-Downs and dwarfs love treasures. They have no problem with going underground, but they might be a bit scared of ghosts, but Murin and Drar will gather their courage and visit those treasure chambers. And yes, Easterling Shamaness for a sub-plot scene, let's see if she stays in the final production or not."


Five more dwarfs, but these are metal ones from Games Workshop, not plastic. I guess the regular warriors are from the initial release, when they had a very limited plastic support. As is noted in this same Challenge, for some reason they are wearing chainmails (2 out of 3 anyway), but none of the plastics are. Well, they were nice to paint anyway.


Then there is one Dwarf King, one of those to receive a ring from Sauron, I guess. There are four different sculpts and I painted three of them two Challenges ago, but now I have the full set painted. Kings don't wear the the green and blue like the regular warriors, they use much more colours. Actually there is no green on this king.

And then we have Mardin, bodyguard of Durin I, with a huge spear. Black eye patch marks him as a veteran. He wears green and blue. All dwarfs are Contrast jobs excluding the metallics. The chainmails are Black Templar Contrast and then light drybrush of Leadbelcher.

I guess that counts as a real skull, not just a bony face?

Barrow-wight Lord (Mithril M256) follows the paint scheme of GW Barrow-wights which I painted in 2016. Here he is flanked by two of those previously painted minis. He has less armour, so is not necessarily that interesting. The recipe for painting is similar to Dead of Dunharrow, paint in grey and blue wash. But these have green highlight. When I originally painted the GW wights, I thought that they looked better without the green, so painted the Dunharrow ghosts without the green. Now I'm not that sure. I like how these look. And these have real weapons, not ghost weapons, so much more colourful than ghosts. He is on 32mm mdf base and of course there are no specific rules for him in MESBG, but I can use him as a regular wight - as long as my opponent approves the bigger base. :)



Last but not least, Easterling Shamaness (Mithril M322), who doesn't look like anything like the Easterlings in the movies. Actually I made a small mistake, I thought she was a different model and painted in dirty and dark colours, but I guess that works for a shamaness. They don't usually wear bright uniforms. And no rules for her, of course. May be she could be used as a war priest...

I do hope that this Shamaness grants me a ride to World Cinema.

In total 7 28mm minis for 35 points and 1 Limo for 20 points, 55 in total. And then my first skull for Skull Duel.



______________________

Haha! I'm loving reading the production woes of 'Murin & Drar'. I really hope it all comes together and it makes it to the big screen, or at least to a streaming service.  :) While the GW dwarves are great (that spear is immense), my favourites are still these wonderful models from Mithril miniatures. The Barrow-wight Lord is excellent, and with your paint scheme, fits in nicely with the GW offerings. The Easterling Shamaness is very characterful as well, though I'm somewhat puzzled with her blue oven mitt right hand. She reminds me of Julia Child tentatively reaching out to a hot soufflé.  :P

Grand work, Teemu! Bring us more of these, please.

- Curt

23 comments:

  1. Excellent collection of figures. Love the Barrow wright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robert! It is a nice collection indeed.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Curt! I'm not sure about the story of the oven mitt, may be it is a powerful, magical glove or something. It looks quite bright in photos, darker in real life, I'd say. And there will more Mithril, maybe not next week, but sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these Teemu. I especially like your Dwarven King. He looks very regal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice LOTR stuff! Really like the wright and the bright blues and greens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm happy how well the combination works.

      Delete
  5. All very fine again, but I really like the colour schemes on the dwarves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like it, too. It is quite bright, but not too much. Looks somehow natural. :)

      Delete
  6. Despite the limited poses, I like the detail on those early metal dwarves, especially on the chainmail and the beards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why the blog site made my comment anonymous. It's been giving me grief when trying to sign in and leave comments on posts. :^P

      Delete
    2. FederickC - I can only comment from one browser on my laptop - Blogger won't let me comment from my phone on any of them -even as anonymous!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Frederick! I only have those three, so limited poses are not an issue to me, yet.
      I don't know about the anonymous, but I had similar issues like Pete, not able to comment. There was something about 3rd party cookies or something, that I needed to change in browser settings, and then it started to work.

      Delete
  7. Great looking dorfs. Love the ghostly green - it works really well for a barrow wight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The ghostly wight looks surprisingly nice. :)

      Delete
  8. I like the ghost, and not just for the skull!

    ReplyDelete