Wednesday 18 January 2023

From KyleC: Dungeons and Legions - (302 pts)

Another week but no more wall to paint up here... So switched to some buildings that I had kicking about.. 

Again some buildings from the Kickstarter of Leichheim village. Two civilian houses here ready to populate the town.. with more to be printed in time as they paint up very nice! 

This was all painted up quickly for an impromptu D&D one shot over the weekend. The DM had asked if I had any buildings, and a few of the players needed something to use as their characters. 

So the two buildings were used and then a Dwarf Berserker and Elf Rangers were quickly printed and then painted up! 3D printing FTW!!! With the female ranger here as a tribute also to Sarah for a limo ride into the Western Studio. 

Quick shot of the table set up where the party had to save the village from last week's Gnolls and Hounds. 

All the models were then donated/gifted to the DM/players for future use. Well save for the terrain as I do hope to build that town up at some point.. 

Then a bit of a switch up as I get my modern Western models sorted here.. 

A right pain to paint up white armor I have to say... But we got there in the end. And then I somehow did something to my recovering knee so have been laid up in my office all day. Partly to still get my job done, but in-between calls painting up the black parts before tackling Darth Vader Monday night while following a paint tutorial on YouTube. Have to say that the steps were quite easy to follow along, and gave a good effect. 

Especially the OSL effect here this time was really interesting to see done and the after effect came out really good for me! 

But this white armor.. holy heck it was a pain. Had tried at first to do a gloss varnish and oil wash to get the shading done quickly... And it turned out less than desirable as a result.. so had to start from scratch once more. 

Again to YouTube but this time with Duncan and his two thin coats approach. Not quite the same end result but they turned out ok. 

Almost there with the boxset finished.. this AT-RT was a bit different but fun to do up. Tried to also check YouTube but I didn't like the scheme that they went with so altered it a bit based on their final photos. 

Overall really happy with the final effects here. Got that dusty SW feel while playing with some new styles of painting. 

And the bikers finished up here! Making the entire starter box for Legion finished! My partner will be happy as she bought it for me for Christmas and to have it finished so quickly is really surprising! 

And looks pretty cool all out there as well! No idea on how well the game plays, but will have to give it a go soon. And meanwhile I suspect more units will be added (some being printed right now 🤣).. 

Studio tour thus far..


_______________________________

You remain on fire this Challenge, Kyle! All of these various models look fabulous, but I have to say that your Darth Vader is the real standout for me. The varied blacks of his armour is amazing, and the OSL from the lightsaber is superb, wow. Great work! I hope this upcoming week sees your knee back on the mend. 

- Curt

26 comments:

  1. Great looking Star Wars collection of figures. They have come a long way from what was available to us in the late 70s and early 80s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert, and agreed much more better than the past.. but even then there are some better ones that I am working on printing to paint up soon enough..

      Delete
  2. Excellent work, especially on those buildings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sped through them to get them on the table, but they did turn out good. I think I have a style sorted for them now so once I print more they should also go quickly

      Delete
  3. Awesome work Kyle. Glad you finally managed to settle on something for the white "plastic" armour. Like Curt I've got to say that OSL is something else, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. The white was an absolute pain for sure, but the gloss varnish tips them over the edge. And the Vadar OSL work comes from a youtube video I found, and really happy on the end result. One that I hope to replicate in other pieces and models that require some OSL work.

      Delete
  4. Those buildings are great and so are the Star Wars figures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really good stuff. The buildings are brill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are two things I like in this post, the fantasy crew and buildings and the Star Wars stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah Teemu.. thanks.. really appreciate the kind words :D

      Delete
  7. Oh, I like those buildings! I have some Leichheim buildings prepared in 10mm, I may have to steal your colour scheme. Very inspirational! And the StarWars figures are awesome too,Kyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good buildings/terrain for sure. Did you print them in FDM or resin for 10mm? Am tempted to try some smaller scales for gaming after seeing all of them here on the blog!

      Delete
    2. Yep, I think I'm going to do up some 10mm walls to enclose Sarah's buildings.

      Delete
    3. They will look amazing at 10mm.. and you can do sooooo much of them at that scale to make it look amaaaaaazing... looking forward to seeing your work on that when you get to it!

      Delete
    4. I tried both. The resin printed fine, but some of the larger building were too big for my buildplate. The fdm ones are a bit meh, probably because of my clumsiness with the printer, but still quite passable. I did some of them in the previous Challenge.

      Delete
  8. What a superb points bomb. From the sweet sweet buildings to Darth's OSL it's a tour de force. And as for a quick print and paint for a weekend game - it's a new world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a new ballgame here for us modellers. Having the ability to find, print, and paint something up quickly for a game or event is priceless. Just been given my marching orders for the next one on the 5th. So expect to see those soon! 🤣

      Delete
  9. I love the buildings, and the OSL is great!

    ReplyDelete