Tuesday 21 February 2023

From DaveD - Nam USMC LVT’s and RR’s (120 points)

 Back to the ‘Nam which of course is the main focus for this challenge . This time it’s more kit for the Marines .

Some transport Landing Vehicle Tracked so the Marines can storm the beaches .They are properly large. I picked these up as resin 3D prints from Butlers Printed Models - not cheap but one offs ,  so just got to suck it up .

One LVT5 . These things are capable of carrying 30+ marines so are a great way of hitting the beach or crossing those rivers . Mind I can understand wanting be on the outside!. There are plenty of pictures from the time with sandbags around the top so I have modelled as such . It used a full pack of terracotta milliput to make them . I then added a 50 cal and gunner along with a guy firing an M60 . I’ve ordered a few more kneeling figures to go in as well at some point . I will also add a driver/  commander when  Full Metal have them back in stock. I would love one of these modelled with the door open - who knows in due course one may get made . 


The dismounted guys are for effect and scale 


Can’t you just hear The Halls of Mintezume ringing in your ears right now?

 


The LVT6H - is the support element with a big gun! They just filled it with ammo . Well  you need an amphibious unit with a big gun obviously. 


Doing these has seen me eye up the WW2 LVT’s I have in the stash and the box of Marines . Now if only I was playing in Miles’s Pelilieu game at Historicon.. oh wait I will be ! Now I just need to persuade the arch butterfly MartinC of this parish that he needs some Japanese and we can go island hopping as we already have all the terrain we need  - any excuse to buy a battleship … tune in next challenge … 

Next is more firepower in the form of recoilless rifles sets  Lovely figure combo from Full Metal Miniatures - just a bit of a bitch to put together as they all have separate arms.  There is one set up firing with a couple of guys hauling an ammo box , and then 4 guys straining to man haul one - they do have that look on their faces 







2 x 28mm massive vehicles = 40 points and anything you may to award for all the damn sandbags - hell I even added a pile of spent 50cal casings too . 

2 full crew and 50 cal (Crew served) 15 points 

8 Marines = 40 points 

2 guns = 20 points 

Total 115 points for the total and Never Ending Cold War 


I will need to sort out more VC and NVA at this rate . 

Next up is mostly likely more green stuff ! I have even made a start on the “bonkers” thing 😂😂😂 which is like Ken building the Bismark , then destroying it and putting it on the seabed - just it’s even bigger . Mwwwaaahaaha!. While  researching for this I came across various VC commando raids into Thailand where at times these were based . That would make a fun game I reckon.


Wingspan 32 inches, length 28 inches  ! That’s as far away as I could hold it .





Well, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing that bonkers B52 - but will you be naming it after one of the band? 
Great work on the LVTs and the RR teams. I've added on a few points for the sandbags and the extra large LVT, to round you up to 120.

Tamsin


25 comments:

  1. Fabulous LTVs Dave! The sandbag and crew additions are inspired. That B52 is an absolute beast! Wow, that will take up a bit of storage space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another excellent adddition to the Vietnam project. These LVTs are still in use by the Spanish Infantería de Marina units as far as I know... intrigued on what you have in mind for that B 52

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, the B-52 is still insane though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb Dave, loving the sandbagging

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cracking brushwork Dave and very evocative photography too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff again Dave, we're all looking forward to seeing that hairyplane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work, Dave! I like the decil dog armor very much, but I'm really curious now to see your plans with that B52!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff Dave. Love the sandbags on the lvts. I don’t think I’d want to lug that gun around the jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - the figures even have a bit of a strained look on them !

      Delete
  9. Nice sandbags- looking forwards to the strategic bombing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. those LTV's really rock Dave, the scenes you have created are evocative in sofar I can hear Paint it Black playing in my minds ear ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great additions to your project. Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work, Dave! I hope that stand can support that giant airplane!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking marines, the B52 is insane!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete