Tuesday 21 February 2023

From MattW: Germanic tribesmen (275 points)

 Germania 

The real business has started with my Germanic Tribesmen, 120 odd to paint over the coming weeks. A lot on the desk at the moment but fitting things on the 60x60 bases has been a hassle with the warlord poses. I have had to make up models for specific spots so no rubbing with the bases either side or overhanging spears. 

First unit are my Woden sanctuary protectors with the totem matching my original opening entry. A mix of Foundry, warlord and some Victrix bits. 







18 x 28mm Germanic tribesmen @ 5 points = 90 points 

Second unit are the Hase (Hares) a decal from a Greek shield for the banner man, the majority of the shields are LBM, the runes on the wicker shield were an idea I had, they are symbols pf Woden




18 x 28mm Germanic tribesmen @ 5 points = 90 points 


Einherjar Harii tribesmen worshipers of the Woden cult and associated with the wild hunt. I have decorated them  with black painted wicker shields and black warpainted bodies as described by Tacitus. Figures from Warlord games range. 




7 x 28mm Germanic tribesmen @ 5 points = 35 points
 


Finally some individually based figures for skirmish gaming also or can rank up behind the larger bases. 


12 x 28mm German tribesmen @ 5 points = 60 points 

Total points 275

Cheers

Matt



Fantastic work, Matt! Do we get the other 65 next week?

Tamsin


Yes I plan too, plus I have another box to build so I can match and fit the other bases, plus archers and slingers too

Cheers 

42 comments:

  1. Wonderful work Matt. I know they were a bit of a bother, but I really like those massed bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, I am really happy with them, the warlord poses can be a little problematic so green stuff and chopping on the crouching figure in particular.I had to paint a lot to get them to fit properly, so now I have made up units and painting by numbers so they fit, I have left quite a few unbuilt to finish off the bases as I get towards the end.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I get it. I hate having overhanging bits on my massed bases - it's a recipe for future swearing and repairs. :)

      Delete
  2. OUTSTANDING! You have done a great job with those bases, love them; the paint work is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, really happy with them, I am theming each base a little also, so brown, black, grey fur coming

      Delete
  3. Super work Matt, great shields and skin plus the basing is excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, I blend my own flesh so I get variation in the units

      Delete
  4. Nice work, Matt! I like the animation of the big bases and spots of Roman armor bits scattered among them. The wicker and the scratched shields...very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers David, yes at first not a big fan of the wicker shields, now I wish I had more

      Delete
  5. great stuff, they look mad bad and dangerous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes chunky bad bastards I think, really happy how they are progressing

      Delete
  6. Excellent work on those "Hairies" Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bunch of hairy Germans Matt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work, Matt! The bases look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking Germans! Love the basing

    ReplyDelete
  10. very inspired work Matt, love the runes on the shields

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sander, I am happy with my results

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Yes relatives on mine! Hairy barbarian that is!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you, a lot of work to get them to fit on the bases though

      Delete
  13. Impressive and the massed bases look great!
    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jez, they do offer some presence that is for sure

      Delete
  14. The dudes look great crowded onto those bases! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dallas, a bit of work to get the brush in there though!

      Delete
  15. The horde look is great. A hassle but worth the effort. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bruce, if you have ever tried tonnage warlord celts or Germans you would understand fully the challenge

      Delete
  16. Splendid, Matt! The mass bases work really well and the painting is fabulous. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome looking Germans! The mix of manufacturers and the wicker shields work really well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the foundry fit nicely with the warlord that is for sure.

      Delete
  18. Really cool Matt - just the thing to oppose your Legions of Caesar! The massed basing, while painful to do, gives a really flavoursome dynamic. What rules are you using?

    ReplyDelete