Tuesday 21 February 2023

From KerryT: Italian Wars Gendarmes (165 points & 1 squirrel)

 Morning, afternoon & evening all

I hadn't expected to be posting anything this week as we were meant to be off to the beach to stay. Unfortunately the place where we were meant to be staying is still inaccessible after the cyclone and we had to cancel. I admired the optimism of the agent who was hoping we'd still get there - this little Bach (holiday home/rental) is right on the beachfront and a gentle 20 metre walk from the sea - we stayed there last year -its a bit more difficult now with sand obviously having been washed away - she said "I've put down a ladder so you can access the beach easily!"

Its my birthday today and I decided to still have my week off but we'll visit the local beach later and go out for lunch. Before I go I'll have to finish some basing and take some pictures though.

This is later!

Once more I've painted up a female figure so I can hitch a ride from Lady Sarah and plan on visiting the Arthouse studio my 3rd Blue studio


My ride is courtesy of Lady Diana Mosley a ferocious looking woman from Footsore's VBCW range

God I can't paint feminine faces, she looks like she's got a 'tash!

I'm going to suggest I can claim the Arthouse bonus with these French Gendarmes from the Wargames Foundry Italian Wars range. 










(Studio Quote -From miniatures created out of bottle-tops, to hair-roller armies. Everything artistic is welcome here - whether the art is visual, or just a pose. Want to paint a miniature in just pink paint? Obsessed with Carroburg Crimson ink? This is the Studio for you! Welcome to the location for the quirky, arty and the downright strange. )

They may not be all in pink but like all Gendarmes they are self important, certainly a bit gaudy and arty-farty I think and there's another thing -another arty farty word - "avante-garde"



I hadn't intended to group the colours together when basing

Why are they avante-garde? Why early camouflage of course. Despite being bright and colourful they could still remain hidden and jump out in ambush

I can unequivocally reinforce this claim by proving evidence of early camouflage techniques. Where do you think German WWII Pea-dot camouflage designs originated? I take it you've all head of Leonardo de Vinci, Michelangelo , Raphael and Botticelli....

Well I tell you it was in the Renaissance era and the pioneering work of Leonardo de Jardiniere (otherwise known as Bayleaf the Gardner)

I'm showing my age now

Here is evidence of early Renaissance camouflage  that allowed these elite horsemen to stay hidden in shrubberies

Pete's flag is a dead give away though, they need to roll that up when trying to hide
Now shut your eyes, block out the flag in your mind and open them again and hey presto ...
Where are they? Bet you can't see them now, see what I mean😀

Seriously though, I found these figures quite hard work to complete in the end and have only managed to complete 12 of the remaining 21 that I have. I do wonder if the multicoloured spiraled lances so beloved of wargamers were ever used in the field of battle as opposed to plain wooden lances. Painting those in a single colour or base wood would have saved a lot of time

One would expect these to be single one off weapons that would splinter in in the charge,. Still I suppose there seems to be a plethora of painters in this era and they couldn't all have been employed painting ceilings!

Talking of camouflage this is my final entry, these are my15mm WWII desert armies..... 

That Cammo is just so realistic

... and also my WWII Allied Normandy Armada 

Look at that fleet, more ships than Ken has painted and the Cammo is sublime


As you might be able to see if you squint really hard there are farsands of them but the cammo is so good you're going to have to take my word for it. So that will be another few thousand points please in addition to...

Lady Diana Mosley and Lady Sarah's Limousine - 25 points

12 Mounted Italian Wars French Gendarmes - 120 points for a total of 145

1 Squirrel

Codpiece & Ostrich feathers 120 points

Best wishes



Lovely painting and with such a bravado masterclass in shoehorning, you deserve the Arthouse bonus points, damn you!

Tamsin

37 comments:

  1. I don’t know which is more fearsome, a Mitford sister or the Gendarmes. Nice work all around. Brilliant camo. Enjoy your birthday on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, just read up about the Mitford sisters - what a bunch!

      Delete
  2. Many Happy Returns. Excellent detail work. Now resist the urge to fill up on basing material at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter there's a large bag of builders sand in the garage but I'm not a builder!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, Kerry! What a wonderful submission. Both Ms. Mitford and those Gendarmes look very imposing. Fabulous brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, love the gendarmes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Kerry. Love the Gendarmes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Kerry, love the gendarmes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, they're always fun to paint but I fear I' running out of colour combos

      Delete
  7. Just Fab Kerry. Those WF Ital. Wars Gendarmes are still some of the very best out there. I love the work you've done on the bards. lovely jubbily as they say :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice armies Kerry, all three of them! And happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Darrell, I think you are right but I must get more from Eureka next I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Eureka Gendarmes are excellent as as the Steel Fist offerings- I have both but they're a long way from the front of the queue at the mo :>(

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday, Kerry! The Gendarmes are brilliant and well executed. I applaud their technicolor camouflage, they would be an absolute terror on a Dutch tulip farm! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true I doubt they woould tiptoe through the tulips

      Delete
  11. Lovely job mate, Stripey Lances for posing round the town, wooden one for splintering on your enemies bonce 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ken I thought you might like my ships best!

      Delete
    2. I can't take the competition 🤣

      Delete
  12. Great work. Good to catch you on the char

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave I enjoyed the chat too, I hope to make it to others

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday, Kerry, love the knights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, no toys for my birthday but some long awaited deliveries held up by UK post arrived

      Delete
  14. have a great birthday and thanks for sharing those great pictures with us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Gendarmes - will be fun playing with all that heavy metal! Hope no pike blocks are around .........
    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez, the collection's growing so I need to sort out some rules next

      Delete
  16. Super looking Gendarmes, well done Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dallas, fun to paint but took an age

      Delete
  17. Great work. Happy birthday and Love the banner and lances. Superb.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is almost more bonkers than those Turnip thingies. However, your gendarmes and Ms Milford are great. Though I really like your Armada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think the armada is my best work by far!

      Delete
  19. Splendid looking gendarmes! The spiral is a pain but worth it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete