Friday 12 January 2024

From Barks: Swamp tutorial (DIY)(35 points)


I made some generic swamps for any scale or period. In this tutorial I'll show you how I went about it. This is one of those fun projects where each step looks good and just gets better as it goes along, unlike some projects which seem to get worse before they get better.

I started with some pre-cut MDF forest sabot bases from Knights of Dice (sadly, a company on hiatus). I used my trusty Dremel to hack out the insides and bevel the edges.

Pre-cut MDF forest sabot bases, unglued.

I glued the two halves together with some random offcuts and added Miliput to disguise any regularities in the curves.

After cutting and bevelling, glued together and made more irregular

I used PVA to stick on builder's sand. I then gave a light mist of PVA and IPA to further cement it down. (I could have gone heavier with the spray).

Waiting for the sand/ PVA to dry

I painted them craft paint brown, then drybrushed browns and creams. I could have skipped either of the drybrush stages. I then painted the water dark green- Contrast Dark Angel in this instance. Any dark green or brown would be fine.

Steps of colour

I then used a selection of flocks, static grass and tufts I've been accumulating over the years. I used brighter greens around the water edges, and drier colours to blend with my game boards.

Vegetation added

The final step is Deluxe Materials Aqua Magic. This is like acrylic gloss varnish, a single pour product without any mixing or heating required. I generously poured this in and let it soak up the sides into the flock. I used up the last of my bottle. I put them on a level surface and protected them from dust. Done!


Water poured and left to dry

The finished result! With hobbits for scale. I resisted the urge to add skullz, corpses, rusty bits etc to keep them generic for scale and period.


Sensibly, I did a test swamp a few months ago. I tried some fancy blending in the water to give a depth illusion, but it just didn't work and is unnecessary. More troubling was the cracking of the water. I've slightly salvaged it with a second coat of water effect, but I think more will be required and I expect to have to do it to my new swamps as well. I do need a new bottle of that stuff, anyway. I know I should probably do multiple thin coats, but I'm impatient and in a hurry.

Cracking of the water. Bug or feature?

If you've got any comments on experiences with water effect products I'd like to hear!

Note the different colour water of the prototype swamp

Oh, and also I'd like suggestions on storing them so the tufts don't get squished. I'm thinking of putting each in a greaseproof paper bag. Some sort of plate rack or CD holder?

Swampy bits ?8 points

DIY 20 points


From Millsy: These are absolutely smashing Barks and I have to thank you for taking the time to document your process so thoroughly. The finished product has a very professional feel to it and you've absolutely nailed the colours, density of vegetation and visible amount of water. Everything about them seems hazardous just as it should be.

Only a miser would let you get away with 8 measly points, they are worth double that! 35 points all up.

PS. Maybe some sort of custom card shelving to store them? Just enough space to slide each one in without crushing the tufts but cheap enough not to break the bank.

52 comments:

  1. Excellent swamps! You win the Shrek award. I'll be copying those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking that we should make some for your TTS grid bard!

      Thanks Barks - I've got some of those KoD bases kicking about also!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Dux! A Shrek sign could be added easily.

      Delete
    3. I'm in a debate with myself about how to add forests with removable trees.

      Delete
  2. Great Swamp effects, will need to try these myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, didn't take long when I got down to it.

      Delete
  3. Great tutorial Barks. Much appreciated as I was recently thinking of heading down to the swamp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant job. Very helpful - want to do something similar myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Possible storage option, this kind of thin boxes? I'm sure there are other producers and there might be better ones. But in general a sturdy, thin, but wide box. I have couple of these for my flat terrains.
    https://www.feldherr.net/feldherr-storage-boxes-1/box-full-size-40-mm/feldherr-storage-box-fslb040-empty/a-58811

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes, very nice swamps and thanks for the tutorial, too!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Teemu, I'll look into it.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic. yet another project on the list where do you get the aqua stuff from please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in the railway scenery part of a hobby shop.

      Delete
  7. These look really great and IMHO the "cracked" look seems even more realistic -- maybe there's a slight breeze across the swamp? Now next time you can add some ducks 🦆 !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial Barks, I will be trying this out. I like the idea of dremeling out the sabot bases and I have most of the materials already. Also love the Julia Child "here's one I did before the show" reveal moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of Julia Child (specifically Dan Akyroyd's impression of her): Peter, you can't event slice a cucumber without endangering all your digits and limbs. I suggest keeping your lovely wife nearby, with her fingers hovering over 911. ;P

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Peter, make sure there is a responsible adult about!

      Delete
  9. These look great and what an excellent idea for the base material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the idea for a while, just needed to get it done.

      Delete
  10. Great work Barks! The phrase "I used my trust dremel" is a great reminder of why I avoid these sorts of projects at all costs, and continue to insist on the purchase of terrain created by others. But the results here are solid - well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the same feeling when someone starts a tutorial with 'So I used my airbrush..."

      Delete
  11. I did something similar for rice paddies, but this looks far less fiddly than what I attempted. Beautiful work - Well done Barks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still mulling over a rice paddy solution.

      Delete
  12. Wow, looks suitably swampy! Nice work and great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a brilliant idea Barks, one well worth copying - thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very good representation of the Midgewater Marshes, Barks, Thanks for the tutorial, very useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me think about churning out some more...

      Delete
  15. Nice swamps. You can hear the nasty biting insects approaching just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I often use a hot glue gun and cardboard from boxes to make storage for terrain. Those look great. I need some swamps for my terrain collection and this tutorial will be just the thing to help me get there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh Barks, you answered a question for me! I have a terrain project (ruined fountain) that needs water and i wondered how to really make it realistic. I think this answers it. I'm hoping that my acrylic color underneath will be enough and I won't have to resort to oil based paint, or have to reprint it (16 hour print). Superb job and great motivation for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FDM prints should hold the water. Look forward to finding out how it goes!

      Delete
  18. Super swamps Barks, they look ace 👍

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice swamps - maybe the cracks do look like wind ruffling the water and if some one says but the wind blows only one way tell them it is a swamp devil wind(aka dust devil)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can bring their own swamps next time.

      Delete
  20. Good looking boggy bits, and thanks for the tips! I will be referring to your tutorial here when for this year's challenge I will paint up the first piece of watery terrain I have ever attempted.

    ReplyDelete
  21. really nice set of swamps there Barks, you can see the time and effort that has gone into making them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't take too long, mostly drying time.

      Delete