Friday 12 January 2024

From Kerry T - Italian Wars Spanish Jinetes (140 points)

 Morning, afternoon and evening all

I didn't think I'd manage an entry this week but have managed to finish one thankfully.  The idea of painting a  large batch of horses in readiness over the Christmas period when I had quite a bit of time turned out to have been a good investment time-wise. 

These 36 are left, 24 completed now and 12 half finished

I had a really nice evening on Tuesday painting and chatting online with Millsy and the rest of the Antipodean crowd, though I did get a minor scolding from my wife when I rolled into bed at 11.30pm. That's one of the problems in living in the most advanced place on earth, its always late here while its early for you lot. (ok point taken NZ is only the most advanced place in terms of time and nothing else!)

I've managed to knock off 12 more cavalry getting sidetracked from painting more Normans by these Jinetes

Spanish light cavalry for the Italian wars


Casting Room Miniatures - Wargames Foundry





Flag from Maverick Models this time

I was happily snapping photos an hour ago having only just finished the bases and only realised when editing that I hadn't finished one of the shields so dumped those pictures, added paint to the shield and then took fresh photos. It's amazing what you miss when you're in a hurry

I wasn't that enamoured with the castings when I started out but they've grown on me and look better with paint and when together as a group. Again the fiddly bits took more time than I'd allotted - adding the spears and shields with epoxy and the hateful basing

As I'm still in the library entranceway, these will count as my "overdue & returns" as I bought them  for last years challenge but never got to them. I hope to finish some Andalusian horse next and then make a start on some Footsore Welsh, unless of course I get sidetracked by something else shiny

Many thanks for your support and encouragement to date and "up the Antipodeans"

In summary 
12 x 28mm Cavalry @10 points = 120
Overdue & return bonus 20 points = 140 total
1 squirrel

From Millsy: I reckon a scolding from Mrs KerryT is well worth it when this is the result mate. These are absolutely glorious and I am sure will look every bit as good in game as they do here. Despite your feelings about the castings they have come up a treat and your choice of colours really does lift them up. The dominant red/yellow pairing sets them firmly in the Spanish camp and everything else just adds to the visual interest.

Looking forward to the Normans now you have set the bar with these! 140 well deserved points.

28 comments:

  1. Lovely figures, and very nice to 'meet' you on the Tuesday chat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry the shields are brilliant. Excellent post and paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce, the detail stood out on them so they were easy to pain/pick out

      Delete
  3. Great stuff ... makes we want to dig out some similar figures I have somewhere to paint! Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jez, I'm going to tackle more casting room miniatures soon I hope

      Delete
  4. Speaking of advanced, I saw a short video yesterday, where a lady from US was complaining, that if the UK are 6 hours ahead of them, why don't they tell the future... Yep.
    But very nice horses, Kerry! If scolding gives this kinf of results, then I'll cheer for Mrs Kerry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work on these Jinettes Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Millsy is right - the scolding it worth it for great results. Well done Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Greg, she just scolded me for telling you lot she scolded me!

      Delete
  7. Stunning work Kerry. Such a beautiful unit of cavalry - the shields are gorgeous.

    Scolded for 11:30pm bedtime? Wow. 1am tuck-ins don't raise an eyebrow here, but then again I've always been a night owl so the pattern has been long established.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, I'd have to use matchsticks to keep my eyes open if I painted till 1am

      Delete
  8. Great work Kerry. Sometimes we just need a late night :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, invariably I'm still painting at 10pm and would carry on until she reminds me its bedtime

      Delete
  9. Those look great Kerry, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, most evenings I don’t even paint and stillI won’t manage to get into bed at 23:30! On the other hand, your painting looks much better. Maybe I should try it. 😉 What a wonderful, colourfull unit! Splendid work, Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Might have been annoying to assemble but they look great painted. My schedule is a bit off from my wife's as she works early & I'm retired. Staying up late doesn't happen too often in the winter as the house becomes cold & I realize it's late.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb work Kerry well, worth the hassle of assembling them and any comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are really cool looking figures Kerry, keep up the fab work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Kerry it was great to catch up last week and I hope we see you again tomorrow, I painted a pile of these for a customer at the end of last year, great figures and you have done a smashing job on them. looking forward to seeing more roll of the line

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spot on mate, I've got a huge box of Casting Room stuff to get through, a bit like TAG they look a million times better with a bit if slap on 👍

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great work! I really like the shields.

    ReplyDelete