Friday 12 January 2024

From Barks: Halo Jones (Manga and Graphic Novels)(25 points)

Halo Jones

The Ballad of Halo Jones was a 2000AD comic strip from 1984 to 1986 by Alan Moore, with art by Ian Gibson. Described as a "groundbreaking feminist heroine" by The Guardian, Halo is a futuristic everywoman who decides to leave her life behind to find herself in the galaxy. The epic ballad covers her trials and tribulations over decades of her life as she travels, fights, loves, and ultimately becomes a galactic hero and transcends time and space- or would have if Alan Moore hadn't characteristically had a falling out with his publishers.





The girl who got out

Halo Jones has no characteristic uniform or look beyond her short blonde hair. I made this figure from the wonderful North Star ranges.

1x 28mm (5 points)

Manga and Graphic Novels (20 points)


From Millsy: I have to admit to being a complete n00b when it comes to Halo Jones. Such a pity that a falling out consigned her to a much smaller part in the pantheon of heroines.

Really nice work and a great entry for the graphic novel section of the library. Nice one mate!

32 comments:

  1. Nice mini, Barks! I'm with Millsy, never heard of her, but she looks like just like in the comic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit of an Alan Moore fan, so she's been on my radar for a while.

      Delete
  2. Great job Barks - one of the best parts of the Challenge is learning about new and different themes/settings/interests etc. I had never heard of this character, so very cool to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like seeing the breadth of the hobby as well!

      Delete
  3. Great figure and an excellent fit with the subject, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know my Halo from my elbow but great work on the figure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got to love some Ian Gibson artwork. Such a nice chap in person too! (Never met Alan Moore, but I suspect his reputation of grumpiness is exhagurated. Love the paintjob here, it looks like Halo has stolen an outfit from Han Solo's wardrobe! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, you've met him? Definitely Solo inspired.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful! I totally forgot about Halo Jones (though granted it was a memory-challenging period of my life). A brilliant entry for the graphic novel section. Love the hair. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curt! I was so happy to find the 'right' head for this figure.

      Delete
  7. That does take me back, thanks Barks, splendidly executed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mini and fabulous background. Thanks for the time machine ride Barks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never read the comic but nice work on the picture and photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 2000AD has a couple of free samples.

      Delete
  10. Don’t know her but she looks like the girl you don’t want to be messing with. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great entry Barks, like that you were able to kit bash your idea into such a striking likeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the simplest of kitbashes, but it works for me!

      Delete
  12. That's a great mini, Barks! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great mini Barks, never heard of this one before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll have cameos in a number of my sci-fi games, I'm sure.

      Delete
  14. Nice work! I have a collected edition of these comics.

    ReplyDelete