Wednesday 22 January 2020

From AlexK: Retreat from Benito's Brook (35 Points)

This is one of the challenge destinations I've been really looking forward to, Benito's Brook, with the challenge being,

"A figure or vignette related to some brave feat of arms, almost hopeless against impossible odds."


Now for me this really only meant one subject, one which encapsulated hopelessness, but is renowned for feats of bravery and it is the French retreat from Russia in 1812. It still amazes me that anyone survived this ordeal, the river crossings or the rearguard actions to save the marching supply columns. So with this in mind I set about one of the French commanders from the Perry's Retreat from Moscow range, as usual it is a fine piece of sculpting, but being metal needed a bit more prep work and a touch more care to get the paint to move evenly like I've become accustomed to with their plastics.

That said, I'm very happy with it and its one of those figures that tells its own story, a commander clearly looking back, trying to round up his men, seeing if anyone has fallen unnoticed. A very dramatic sculpt indeed.


 






On a personal note I'm very happy with the cold looking skin tones and unusually for me this was one afternoons painting ( I can't ever recall painting a figure start to finish in one day, I mean I achieved absolutely nothing else today, the washed clothes have been sat in the washing machine a worrying amount of time now!!) and this maybe a project I come back to after I finish my British force for the peninsular.




Points wise I thinks it's 5 for the figure and 30 for Benito's Brook and now its on to O'Grady's Gulch.



That's a lovely figure Alex - I think you've nailed the cold skin tones. 35 points it is!

TamsinP

12 comments:

  1. Lovely painting, excellent work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic work - it's great to see more winter content :)
    Your efforts to capture the winter feelings are a success...my toes curled up just looking at the poor fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work on this guy Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work Thoguht he was a Frostgrave wizard at first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam, I think with a few different colours he could pass for fantasy as well.

      Delete
  5. Great work, he certainly looks desperate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks so cold! Fantastic work Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He really looks the part! Wonderful painting

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's a real beauty - well done Alex. I think I saw a guy similar to this last week at the corner bus stop...

    ReplyDelete